SAS. 3,4 swap or keep orginal?

• Fix 3.0 and keep original

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I just scored a complete rust free 1988 4runner with a 3.0 auto. The 3.0 is not running currently due to a timing belt replacement issue.

I have a local lead on a 3.4, 5 speed manual and t-case from a 2001 Tacoma for $400.

I also have a local lead on a straight axle from a 85' truck. Would the straight axle handle the upgraded power from the 3.4?

Should I get these things and SAS and put the 3.4 in it? Or should I try to get the 3.0 running and keep it original?

I would still need to find an ECM for the 3.4 because it does not come with the engine.

Thanks everyone. Glad to be back into a 4runner after years of not having one.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to decide what your plans are . What do you want to achieve with this Toyota? Too many variables.
Just looking for reliability since I will be keeping it a long time. I've had 22re ones only. I plan to drive it mostly on the road and the occasional dirt roads but not much climbing.

Edit I did have a 97 5vze 5 speed and loved it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just looking for reliability since I will be keeping it a long time. I've had 22re ones only. I plan to drive it mostly on the road and the occasional dirt roads but not much climbing.

Edit I did have a 97 5vze 5 speed and loved it.
Gotcha, if it was me… I’d do the 3.4 swap and keep the ifs. The solid axle would be cool if you were going for something more demanding or difficult.

·
P.B.A.
4,559 Posts
3.4 straight axle 35’s. Reliable and drivable. Anything bigger than 37’s on Toyota axles is just begging to break.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Gotcha, if it was me… I’d do the 3.4 swap and keep the ifs. The solid axle would be cool if you were going for something more demanding or difficult.
^^^This. Wish I'd done the same on my '89. No crawling, then no SAS necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve owned an 84 4x4 Toyota and an 86 4 runner the 4Runner drove so much nicer along with the ride. A lot of people get stuck on the “cool” factor.
Awesome. Do you think the IFS diff will handle the power of the 3.4 fine? I've read if I use the 3.0 mounts I can lower the 3.4 to where I can close the factory hood.

I've read the 3.4 supercharged is pretty nice and around 300HP, then I would need to find a 1st gen cowl hood. That's a whole different project though.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Awesome. Do you think the IFS diff will handle the power of the 3.4 fine? I've read if I use the 3.0 mounts I can lower the 3.4 to where I can close the factory hood.

I've read the 3.4 supercharged is pretty nice and around 300HP, then I would need to find a 1st gen cowl hood. That's a whole different project though.
I only had the 22re. I’m sure it’d hold up fine as long as you didn’t beat on it to much.

·
Registered
1 Posts

the stock ifs will handle the 3.4 easily.

I'm running lunchbox lockers in the stock rear and front ifs with a SBC 355 and 37"s on a 93 4runner haven't had any issues up front. I have on dry pavement busted 2 R&P in the rear now but 400+ hp and the 37"s that to be expected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts