Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the Con once many moons ago and am getting my rig(s) setup to take advantage since the trail is ~35 miles from my door step:grinpimp:

One of things I was curious about is from the Loon Lake damn/slabs, what is the expected distance to various landmarks? For example, Gate Keeper, Buck Island, Spider Lake, Little Sluice, etc.

I've looked at a couple of maps but was hoping for experienced trail runners to set me straight on distance/time. Usual rig will be full bodied on 35s(see attached)

My goal is to figure out reasonable in/out day runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've done the Con once many moons ago and am getting my rig(s) setup to take advantage since the trail is ~35 miles from my door step:grinpimp:

One of things I was curious about is from the Loon Lake damn/slabs, what is the expected distance to various landmarks? For example, Gate Keeper, Buck Island, Spider Lake, Little Sluice, etc.

I've looked at a couple of maps but was hoping for experienced trail runners to set me straight on distance/time. Usual rig will be full bodied on 35s(see attached)

My goal is to figure out reasonable in/out day runs.
The whole trail can be done in a day :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Well the 55 run used to camp at loon and run into Soup Bowl & Little Sluice then back to Loon for dinner. You could scoot into Buck and back but that could turn into a long day or an overnighter. Depends on how fast you are moving but just bumping along the Soup Bowl/ LS area is only a couple hours each way to Loon, sure you can do it faster but just trail riding it is not bad. There's even bathrooms periodically now & then may not have been there when you last went thru.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole trail can be done in a day :flipoff2:
How much of the rig is left? And if it is run in one day, that strands you in Tahoe :p
Try the rtf maps?
I'll take a look at rtf maps. I've got some forest service maps and old 'trail' maps. I'm just not sure I trust trying to map out a trail and then guess how long ;)

Loon lake dam. Damn!:flipoff2:
Some of the parking made me say damn:laughing:

Well the 55 run used to camp at loon and run into Soup Bowl & Little Sluice then back to Loon for dinner. You could scoot into Buck and back but that could turn into a long day or an overnighter. Depends on how fast you are moving but just bumping along the Soup Bowl/ LS area is only a couple hours each way to Loon, sure you can do it faster but just trail riding it is not bad. There's even bathrooms periodically now & then may not have been there when you last went thru.
I was looking at very small group/solo with no stupid stuff on weekdays. Basically a slow even pace with hopefully no trail boulders in the way :p

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Thats exactly what you get going to LS from Loon, worst part is probably Walker hill, may be easy as it is end of season now, Walker is fun first up after winter.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Loon to little sluice, hike to spider for lunch is super easy to do in a day. Leaves plenty of time to stop at Uncle Toms on way home.
Loon to Buck can easily be done in a day with the right group and conditions.
I usually play day trips out by ear.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see you're gonna make it challenging by not running a front driveline. Good on ya:laughing:
Isn't that THE way to run it? Plus no locker in the rear and 3.08 gearing:evil:

It actually has a front driveshaft now:homer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts