Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched, but didn't find anything.

I'm looking for a good brand and type of fixed blade knife. I like a fixed blade for certain things, and only like to carry my closing blades for when I can't carry a full fixed or it wouldn't hide well on slacks.

What are some good brands of fixed blade for everyday needs, hunting, and some small blades for somewhat concealed use?

I've been out of the knife world for so long and there are so many new ones I can't keep up with what's good and bad anymore.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Morakniv

They are by far, the best bang for the buck, fixed blade knife available right now. Dirt cheap and very well made. They offer full tang options too for just a little more. I bought like a dozen of their base model a couple years ago and placed them all through my house, garage and get-home bags. Incredibly sharp as well.

Heres a good deal for one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3DNELW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickguns-20

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Cant go wrong with the Mora, very well made. Very popular in the "survivalist" community. It may not be the best thing if you need to start splitting wood, but for all your cutting, skinning, carving types of field craft tasks, they are awesome.
Esee, KaBar Becker, and Benchmade also make very nice larger blades.
I have a Becker that I have beet the shit out of and no complaints.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
I have one of these; got it issued before deployment. It's pretty awesome, though I really don't use it all that much.

https://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Knife-140BK-Nimravus-Handle/dp/B000BNVGU4

As mentioned, the mora knives are awesome. I have 4 or 5 of them; one in my truck, fishing bag, hunting pack, backpacking pack, etc. For as cheap as they are they're almost disposable. I don't mind using them as a chisel, pry bar, screwdriver, etc. They take a great edge and are pretty tough. Regardless of what you end up buying, pick up a couple.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I carry an Esee everyday, as well as when I hunt and fish. Love them to death, their warranty is lifetime no questions.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Morakniv

They are by far, the best bang for the buck, fixed blade knife available right now. Dirt cheap and very well made. They offer full tang options too for just a little more. I bought like a dozen of their base model a couple years ago and placed them all through my house, garage and get-home bags. Incredibly sharp as well.

Heres a good deal for one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3DNELW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickguns-20
Cant go wrong with the Mora, very well made. Very popular in the "survivalist" community. It may not be the best thing if you need to start splitting wood, but for all your cutting, skinning, carving types of field craft tasks, they are awesome.
Esee, KaBar Becker, and Benchmade also make very nice larger blades.
I have a Becker that I have beet the shit out of and no complaints.
I have one of these; got it issued before deployment. It's pretty awesome, though I really don't use it all that much.

As mentioned, the mora knives are awesome. I have 4 or 5 of them; one in my truck, fishing bag, hunting pack, backpacking pack, etc. For as cheap as they are they're almost disposable. I don't mind using them as a chisel, pry bar, screwdriver, etc. They take a great edge and are pretty tough. Regardless of what you end up buying, pick up a couple.
Is Mora and Morakniv the same thing? I typed Mora Knife on amazon and Morakniv shows up for the search results. I would like to buy a few good value fixed blade knives as well.

·
blatant asshole
11,748 Posts
Ive been eyeballing poshland Damascus low profile cleavers as my nex edc big knife. Nice laying and etching, handles are a bit lack luster but for $50-100 they look like they would serve me well.

My crkt stealth just wont fucking die or disappear. Been a damn good knife. Doesnt hold much for and edge and i absolutely abuse the piss out it. I cant believe i havent bent the damn thing.

·
blatant asshole
11,748 Posts
I also kind of like the insulation knives from milwakee and hilmar.

Cheap, available, 6", straight and serated edges. Cheap, hard sheathes with grip lock not a strap or snap

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I daily carry a modified AF Survival knife. One version of this knife or another has accompanied me on many a woods/urban adventure for the last 35+ years, including several combat tours getting made fun of by the young'uns for not having a "cool" knife.

For daily carry I cut the hex off the back, lose the top of the guard and round the bottom. Carried in a custom pancake sheath of my own making with a leatherman pouch on front. To the unknowing, with my t-shirt covering the knife handle it looks no different than your usual multi-tool on the belt.

For <$50 can't beat it!

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts

Benchmade nimravus.
This. It was my decent beater knife till I made a couple of my own. It's a little thin so don't do any stupid shit with it.
A lot of my guys carry Winkler's, don't know if it's more because they work or because they like to be cool :laughing:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Another vote for Mora knives. I have at least a dozen of them they are dirt cheap and I just can't see a knives costing five times as much being five times better.

I've run both the stainless and the high carbon blades Moras. The carbon steel holds the razor sharp edge a little longer than stainless but it did get a few rust spots after riding in the glove box for the last six years or so. Never had a stainless Mora rust on me.

Edit: I happen to live in the hometown of Buck knives. Never owned one though. Maybe one of these years I'll stop by when they are having their once a year super sale on blems.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts