Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a joint for a CJ power steering shaft. I just need the joint that attaches to the steering box only, I'd like to find a place that sells them brand new since my efforts to build the shaft with used joints has failed (every used steering shaft that I've found has been too worn out to use).

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
When I had one go out on my YJ I was told by a couple of places they did not sell just that joint :( I dunno if CJ is different but I ended up getting a whole new steering shaft

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've herd the same thing but was hoping that I'd herd wrong. Also wondering if anyone knows if a YJ shaft will work (only need it to fit the steering box the rest will be custom)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Product Name:
(K) Lower Power Steering Shaft Coupler Kit, CJ, 1972-86
Product Number: 998710K
Price: $37.95

www.4wd.com

Wow that took me all of 2 seconds to find. Does anyone search anymore or do you just hope someone else knows?

If this isnt what you need that go to any race chassis shop and they can get you a u-joint with the saginaw splines on one end and whatever you want of the other. Such as..

http://www.lefthanderchassis.com

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I searched on the site but came up with nothing. I guess you just know where to look

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
steering joint

i have one that was in a full size 96 suburban, its taken from the connection rite a the steering box,its actually was from a movie which i have forgotten the name,but its where a dragon looking kind of buldozer with a big boom and at the end was the dragons mouth picking up the suburban, anyway its yous as long as it does,nt cost me getting it to you , let me know

·
Registered
774 Posts
check into the shops in your area that fool around with the roundy round cars. That is where the u-joints in my steering coloum came from. You can get them from speedway or stockcar procucts also

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
i went to the boneyard.. and pulled a shaft off of a newer cherokee.. and used the lower portion on my cj box.. its pretty sweet.. better than the flaming river one i had and broke..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Devil Dog, any fabbing or welding needed to put the Cherokee shaft on the CJ or is this a bolt on thingy? Have pics?

Thanks

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I'd like to see pics if you have any. The other option that I was looking at was the Flaming River one. All I know is that I've got to come up with something better than the booty fab that is on there right now (yes the current shaft is so bad that I've got no probs calling it booty fab..now that's scary)

·
Registered
87 Posts
s10bogger said:
Ya I'd like to see pics if you have any. The other option that I was looking at was the Flaming River one. All I know is that I've got to come up with something better than the booty fab that is on there right now (yes the current shaft is so bad that I've got no probs calling it booty fab..now that's scary)
Booty fab steering is dangerous stuff. Hopefully you don't drive it on the street, you might kill yourself or someone else. Do it once and do it right!:p :trooper:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts