Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm finally geting a locker in the front diff of my truck. I'm still relativly new to the scene of off roading and am not totally sure what I should (or could get away with running) for a locker. I don't have the budget to go out and pick up a full detriot (unless someone has a used unit for sale) so I've been looking at an EZlocker or Lockrite. Like my sig says I'm running a d44 that's getting 5.13's and a 12 bolt truck with 5.13's and a eaton. I'm running 36" TSL's. I've never really pushed this truck nor will I for a while (till I fully get the hang of wheeling my truck, well wheeling in general). I figure that by the time I start beating on this truck it will be time for a 60 and 14 bolt so I'm not looking for the top quailty, super strong expensive setup right now.
Everyone I talk to tells be to go with the detroit but right now like I said before it's either one of the choices above or an open diff for next summer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your best bet would probably be to stay open, and not waste the money until you do go with larger axles. Heck, I've been wheelin' w/ two open ten bolts for two years, and have run some hella hard trails (Extension in Disney for example). Especially if you're new to it, learn some more driving skills, and fully find the limitations of your rig. Most of the cheaper 1/2 ton lockers (Pop rite etc.) just won't stand up to alot of abuse . Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
they making the aussie locker for D60 fronts yet? might be a good inexpensive alternative...

j

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My recommendation, especially considering your comment about being new to wheeling, would be to keep the front open and learn to drive the truck first.

·
Registered
355 Posts
jesus he is running a d44 and 12 bolt in a light S10, you dont need axles larger than that for 36" tires. im getting an aussie locker for my front D30 im swapping into my S10, and I will be running 35-37" tires, but im in 90% mud.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would just spend the dough and get a detroit. You dont want a 60 for your s-10 I swear.

Charlo

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've never really pushed this truck nor will I for a while (till I fully get the hang of wheeling my truck, well wheeling in general).
your absolute best bet would be to learn how to wheel with open frt and rear diffs for a year (times will be tough but its worth it) then go 60/14/rockwells locked and then youll be thanking me becuase it taught you how to go anywhere :flipoff2: beuase you can

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
it is a complete waste of time to try and wheel an open dif
unless you wish to practice winching do not hesitate to get a lockrite for at least the rear, though I would recommend both ends be locked

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bull shit, dont even touch a 60/14 combo. If you want to build some 600hp mud runner then get em. As soon as you get those axles youll need more power to move the added weight. Next thing you know you will have basically a fullsize truck(1ton) truck. Eventually you gotta stop the bigger is better craze and hopefully before it = rockwells and michelins caus you aint gonna crawl as well with those. And in my opinion driving is at least HALF of the battle so it does help to learn to drive.

Charlo

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
mj said:
it is a complete waste of time to try and wheel an open dif
unless you wish to practice winching do not hesitate to get a lockrite for at least the rear, though I would recommend both ends be locked

looks like you could use some more driving time.

i have seem people wheel bone stock vehicles harder than some people will wheel their dedicated rig.

i have seem people wheel up stuff with open diffs two guys couldnt get up with rear lockers

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
really
so you are saying everyone should remove their locking difs and go open based on your anecdotal bull$hit story?

I stand by my origonal statement
open difs are a waste of time, there is nothing to learn from them other then extraction techniques

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I second the notion to stay open until you can get a Detroit.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I think you should stay open until you can get a Detroit, ARB, Aussie, or Electrac. But before you start regearing axles... might want to get rid of that 12bolt. Basically I'd get something stronger in the rear.

I'm runnin a Miller up front. It's pretty cheap......

92 s dime - D30? Kind of a waste of time and money if you ask me. I don't care what it is in, whether it be a tank or a Jeep. D30's are weak pieces of tin foil.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i run a d44 front open with 4.10s on my k5 with 355/350/205 on 38.5" swampers and i dont grenade shit (only cuz its still open). He'll be fine with a light ass s10 on 3/4 ton stuff... oh yeah, and just get a lockright or something similar. unless you plan on trying some really hard shit/doing some really dumb shit, you should be fine with a non-full locker... (IMO)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts