Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
I've done lots of spring overs with 33's, not that bad with stock springs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
"Why do a SOA if all you're going to run are 33's? That's going to look goofy!"....Last time I checked SOAs were done with suspension being the first concern, not lift...Think beyond your familiar knowledge.

Since it sounds like you are doing this to a DD and maybe trying to keep a sleeper look about it, I say definitely, that would be cool. Just step outside the "box" and use alternate springs/mounting that won't have the rig sitting sky-high....

Here's my excuse to post an "old School" pic of my Cruiser when it had 33s:D I did the SOA with CJ7 rear springs on the front(sat lower and flexed better than stock 40 springs) and 53" S10 rear springs on the rear(spring hangers mounted outboard and on the side of the frame. Needless to say, it sat at the same hieght as it did with the cough, cough:rainbow: 4" lift springs that were on it before the SOA, and it was an awesome sleeper(made bigger rigs look foolish more than once) ...And it's totally cool to see a mild looking, unmolested, Cruiser with narrow little axles, with one tire sky high and the other 3 on the ground ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
This is also what i am looking into. For my birthday i got a brand new set of 33" MTR's and everyday i look at them they get smaller :D I want 35's but i dont realy have the money right now and these are new. i would like to go SOA but am afraid the 33's will look small. The reason i want to go SOA is because the next set of tires i get will be 35's and i dont want to have to sell my lift springs and go through all that when i can just do SOA in the first place. :) Thanks guys! And i know that was very confusing to read ;)

*Sam*

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i was sprung over running on 33's for a while (awaiting the 36's)..i thought it was great,,,had the same power/gearing as the sua and could smoke anyone (racing cruisers may be :rainbow: but most of you have done it or thought about doing it one time or another :flipoff2: ) and it flexed good..didnt look that funny either

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I did a spring over on my 40 and did not notice a change. I think it looks just fine. I had an unknown lift on there and went to springover with stock springs. Note I only did it on the rear of the cruiser

arndog

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pics guys, they all look great... to answer the man's question, just want to go 33's because it is my DD as well, and dont' plan on swapping in a 350 until the 2F gives up the ghost, so don't know how well it would push 35's up a hill, but I hear that it's good with the 33's (like an OD on the highway)

To lower the height a bit as mentioned by DM, would it be safe to remove 1-2 of the smaller leafs from the pack? That'd drop it down a bit and it would flex a little better too, no?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
This is soundin good to me but what if i have a 1" body lift that the owner before me put one (so dont flame me :D )? The guy had already put 33" All Terains on and they fit O.K. but their isnt much room for flex. Does this sound right or is their some lift springs on it. I am just curiouse becuase i would like to know what i can do. I wont want to go SOA with lift springs and end up with a monster. Any input would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks guys!!!

*Sam*

·
Registered
802 Posts
74_Chevota You stated you have brand new 33’s, but eventually want to go with 35’s…Trust me, you will be running 35s or bigger soon enough. I would sell your 33s now and go with the 35s, pawn off your lift springs, remove the body lift, and pick up some used stock springs to do your spring over and you’ll be good to go. Don't know about the springs you have now-might be 2" lift ones??? It has been a long time since I have been around a Cruiser with stock springs. It could be that your rig just has extended shackles and the body lift giving it just enough lift for the 33s..Are the springs labeled with an aftermarket p# or name? Good luck

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I love my 1 inch body lift, didnt have to lower my bumpstops as much.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts