Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to build up a 90 Samurai.I have bought the truck,Dana 44s out of a waggy, wheels, YJ springs, and a FJ steering box.There are a couple of items that I am still not decided on.

1 Tires. I have narrowed it down to a couple but have found mixed reviews. I love the TSL SX which I have used for years on the dune buggys but wonder if I will miss out on anything not getting the Boogers.I am mostly concerned about trail performace and rock crawling performance. I ussally try to stay out of the real deep mud and could not care less how loud they are on the street. It will very rarely be driven on the street.

2 Size of tires. I am going to do a Yj soa and will also do some fender trimimg. I should have enough room for 33 or 35s. At what point does the little Sammy get tippy from being too high 35s or bigger?

3 Gears. In the FAQ I found that you should not expect a T case gear set to do all the work so I am going to regear the axles and T case. At what point does the pinion gear start to get weak? Should I stay in the low 5.12 range or go on up? Also what stage of gears to put in the T case? Should the 6.5 to 1 be enough?

I have used the search extensivly ( for about 10 hours)but did not find exactly what I was looking for so hopefully I will not get flammed too bad.LOLThanks for the information in advance. JJ

·
Registered
915 Posts
From my experience, if you don't like the deep mud, then get a mud terrain tire. No real preference on brand. Generics do well for me. I have ssr's right now and I can't get em to bulge and hook up on the rock that I'd like them to. My rig is to light.
I have toyota axles streched 2" front and rear. Gas tank in the stock location. The rig goes over backwards on really steep rock climbs. If you don't mind the strap, then no big deal. I have 35's, I think dropping back down to 33's would help. Otherwise, 35's are the shiznit :grinpimp: Gears, if ya got the 1.3, the deeper the better. I run 6.1's and 5.29s, I think its perfect for everything I like to do, mud/rock/snow. Hope this helps! :smokin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts