Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been googling and searching around checking pictures but there are TONS of different crawlers.

Whats a good starter machine? looking for something with a decent price, and going to be a good machine.

been looking at the axial chassis they seem pretty popular as well

·
Registered
12 Posts
been googling and searching around checking pictures but there are TONS of different crawlers.

Whats a good starter machine? looking for something with a decent price, and going to be a good machine.

Good Starter is a Losi Nightcrawler.....can tackle almost anything and at a good price.

If you want to get going top notch look at the XR10 or the Berg. Plan on spending at least $1000 for these to get them in comp status.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would probably pick Axial for a starter rig. That's what I started off with and you can do so many little upgrades it will never get old.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Whats your price point? You looking to just play around or do you want to compete?

If you just want to play around, the Axial Wraith is a pretty hard truck to beat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whats your price point? You looking to just play around or do you want to compete?

If you just want to play around, the Axial Wraith is a pretty hard truck to beat.
I agree, Wraith is a good toy to bash around and a lot of upgrades are available....not a good comp truck though....It can keep up with most of the lower price crawlers like the losi's and AX's but it will not keep up with the XR's and Berg's if you want to do some serious crawling.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree, Wraith is a good toy to bash around and a lot of upgrades are available....not a good comp truck though....It can keep up with most of the lower price crawlers like the losi's and AX's but it will not keep up with the XR's and Berg's if you want to do some serious crawling.
The nice thing about the Wraith is the longer wheelbase makes it pretty capable.

I have owned about every crawler that has been produced and work for a lot of the manufacturers of both OE and aftermarket parts.

For fun rigs the Wraith does it best. For comp, XR or Berg for sure. Not a fan of the Losi rigs at all. I've owned them and the inefficiency of the worm gears kills those trucks for me.

Plus with some 4WS it's a real blast.

My XR

·
Registered
12 Posts
The nice thing about the Wraith is the longer wheelbase makes it pretty capable.

I have owned about every crawler that has been produced and work for a lot of the manufacturers of both OE and aftermarket parts.

For fun rigs the Wraith does it best. For comp, XR or Berg for sure. Not a fan of the Losi rigs at all. I've owned them and the inefficiency of the worm gears kills those trucks for me.

Both are pretty awesome but definitely not starter or low cost...After all of my builds I would say the Wraith is a good happy medium at a good price but he's not going to get your rig with 4ws without spending some jack.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im looking at the scx10 or the wraith. I just want to go out when im bored and have some fun. not going to compete or anything. just for fun.

probably pick up one up pretty soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I picked up an SCX10 Honcho TR, and so far I'm happy with it. Axial just changed the honcho though, it now has a silver body, different links, different drive shafts, and no longer comes with beadlock wheels.

I'm pretty happy with mine, its my first hobby grade truck though. The TR did come with spare parts, enough to 4 link the suspension and to fix a few odds and ends when they break.

You can't really go wrong with an SCX10 or a Wraith for a starter, both will be a LOT of fun.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Either RPPHOBBY.COM or

TOWERHOBBIES.COM has a coupon code 11072 for $30 off of a $300 purchase. That's where I'm getting the kit at. Along with a Hitec 7954SH servo and a Novak Havoc 3S with a 13.5 turn brushless.

·
Bug Nerd
7,167 Posts
Good Starter is a Losi Nightcrawler.....can tackle almost anything and at a good price.

If you want to get going top notch look at the XR10 or the Berg. Plan on spending at least $1000 for these to get them in comp status.
The Losi Nightcrawler is a really capable out of the box kit that really doesn't need any modifications to crawl really well.

That said, I am partial to Axials. I got one of the first AX10 kits a while after they came out and I have put that thing and most of the stock electronics through some insane abuse and 3 years later the thing is still going.

Great thing about Axials is the HUGE aftermarket. Every time they release a new kit, within weeks there are already aftermarket parts on the shelves.

I'd recommend the Honcho or the Wraith. With all the scale parts, tires, etc, you can create really realistic scale rigs which is a lot of fun in itself.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts

Your tech thread on the Wraith is why I bought one. Thank you.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide-updated-8-1-11-a-13.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been competing for about 3 years here in Missouri. I've ran the axial ax10, rc4wd bully axled rigs,and now berg axles.
The rc4wd axles are by far the strongest out there in stock form but it took me a long time to get the setup right. I love my berg axles ! Easy to set up(compared). And light.

Anyway if you want to have fun I recommend the axial scx 10 .
However, do listen to any advise Harley has to offer...he has done a lot for the hobby.
And he knows his shit!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts

Did you end up purchasing a crawler yet? If so, did you end up with an Axial Wraith?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I see a ton of wraiths going up for sale. I say go for an scx based rig
Can you post up a link where you are seeing used ones for sale? I and several others are looking to purchase some Wraiths this week now that we have some extra Christmas spending money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts