Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a set of 404's to go under a tj. Has any one seen any pics of this yet? Also looking to find out the pro's and con's of them. If you sell them please call me 612 749 1999
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Havn't seen any under a TJ. There are two vendors who hang out here. Have not bought from either, but they seem to know their stuff.

http://www.exaxt.ca/axle.asp

or

http://killeraxles.com/html/portal_axles.html

Pro's and Con's compared to what?

Unless you go full width, costly to reduce width; costly to go to disc brakes; pinion shaft is long and requires an aftermarket pinioin adapter; pinion is only offset 3.75 from center causing some clearance issues (can be addressed if you are shortening axle).

Heavy.

But superior ground clearance. Low gear ratio (7.56)--are you going to want to drive on the road?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
RockinWagin said:
Don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to the Newbie General 4x4 section for their input.;) :D

are you done being a whiny little fuckwad yet?

get it all out in this thread so you don't have to start a new one. :crybaby2:



:usa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I ordered a set from Daniel at Killer Axle today. Where is a good place to order sharter shafts. Daniel said to order them from CTM but I talked to Jake from ctm and he wants me to send him the top gear in the box and the outer gear in the diff. I would think some one must have done this before and know what size to make them if I want the axles to about 64" wms.
I see that Exact will shorten them. I was woundering if that is where must of you guys had them done at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
jward said:
I ordered a set from Daniel at Killer Axle today. Where is a good place to order sharter shafts. Daniel said to order them from CTM but I talked to Jake from ctm and he wants me to send him the top gear in the box and the outer gear in the diff. I would think some one must have done this before and know what size to make them if I want the axles to about 64" wms.
I see that Exact will shorten them. I was woundering if that is where must of you guys had them done at.
Should be an interesting build-up. Be sure to post pics. I am going to run full width, with 20x9 mog wheels with stock 7" backspacing. I can't offer advise on shortening the axles.

Are you going to run disc brakes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
jward said:
I see that Exact will shorten them. I was woundering if that is where must of you guys had them done at.
I had my Mog9 shafts done by Exaxt. Good work, although sometimes things can take longer than planned. I'll be going back for more shafts from them (changing the housing, etc).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
jelbehai said:


I had my Mog9 shafts done by Exaxt. Good work, although sometimes things can take longer than planned. I'll be going back for more shafts from them (changing the housing, etc).
I had mine done there too, the turn around was quick and the work was great. Just make sure that you have a price quote before hand............

Tass
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Another vote to call Exaxt and talk to Rob.

Axles, narrowing etc, they do all that.

They also know their stuff, and he's always been happy to answer my questions.

Tim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
jward said:
I'm going to run drums for now because of the $$$
Yeah, me too. Considering that my rig will be much lighter than the original Mog and will never be used on-road, I should be OK. If not I can go to discs later on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I'm not running rear steer. Its a normal rear end. I had rear steer on my last jeep and it was fun but alot more work to set in up right and you have to cut up the body alot to get 39.5 to clear in the back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pickup my axles today and mounted up the rims and tires. I bought a set of rims from Stazworks and 39.5x13.5x20 Iroks. It is 82" total width and looks like it will be just right under the TJ. I will post a pic later of the set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
jward said:
I pickup my axles today and mounted up the rims and tires. I bought a set of rims from Stazworks and 39.5x13.5x20 Iroks. It is 82" total width and looks like it will be just right under the TJ. I will post a pic later of the set up.
Are those stock Mog wheels? What offset?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rims are custom built by Stazworks and the off set is 5.5"
I have to have some one post the pics for me sorry.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top