Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's firewood season has me thinking about a good solid trailer. Ive got a flatbed that can haul a cord and a half, Id love to find a trailer that could haul the same, to make each outing a 3 cord run.

I found a couple of old pintle hitch military 3/4 ton trailers for ditch cheap ($500ea). I know they could handle the load, but how do they manage highway speeds (55-65mph)? And they typically do not have any type of brakes, do they?

Any other suggestions would be great. Id love to keep such a project south of the $1k mark. :smokin:

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 3/4 ton trailer is designated M101. The M101A1 has 5 lug wheels (interchange with M-37 wheels) and no brakes, and the later M101A2 has 8-lug chevy pattern wheels, and hydraulic surge brakes.

I have had a couple of M101A2's and they tow great. Just be sure you have enough tongue weight. They don't back too great (compared to a flatbed trailer, since the axle-to-hitch distance is pretty short).

I just swapped mine over to an electric brake axle. They have odd bearing size (1-3/4 and 1-5/16 instead of the more standard 1-3/4 and 1-1/4 bearings), and different spacing between the bearings, so you just can't swap in brakes/hubs, you have to swap the axle. I got a Dexter 7k electric for $306 and change. Easy to put in, other than I narrowed a stock axle instead of waiting for a custom length special order.

I have run mine with a full load of mixed rock and dirt in it (guess 3klbs???). Also run at 80 on the interstate with no issues. My latest rebuild/redo of the trailer I found a "heavy spring set" on an M101A2 that had a couple of extra leafs and is much stiffer. Replacing the shocks greatly improved handling for me, too. Old ones were problably 25+ years old. Here is the latest incarnation of mine -- 1250lbs trailer, about 1200lbs camper. Pulls great at 75+ on the interstate:

Here is the trailer alone before the repaint. Tires are about 4" dia. bigger than stock IIRC, 305/85R16's. Put them on because they carry about 3500lbs each rated. This pic is after I took off the hydraulic surge hitch and welded on an adjustable height lunette eye:

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trailers I looked at looked like the second photo you posted, only without the side racks. Both were flat decks, with fenders. 8 lug, even had the manual e-brakes on both sides like that one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
just looked at my 2nd pic, it looks a little wopsided because I had just sat the bed on there, it isn't straight to the frame. Work in progress.

That flatbed is probably a generator trailer. And *might* have the heavy spring kit. (That's what my springs came off of). If so, there is an additional data plate with the kit and spring info.

Also, it *might* have a fuel tank that *might* be worth a little cash. Some/most/all of the fuel tanks under these are supposedly the same as an M-37 ('50's to '60's military pickup truck) fuel tank, just newer and in better condition. I have seen ads where folks are *asking* $300 to $400 for the tank. YMMV, I saw it on the Internet, etc, etc.

edit: you can't see the tongue of my flatbed trailer in that pic, but it also has the adjustable height pintle hitch. My goal in life is to get all the couplers on all my trailers, and all the hitches on my trucks and Jeeps, at the same height. Putting the adjustable coupler on the M101A2 was another step in that direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts