Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a small bit about cruiser's but I was wondering if I can get some more info. Looking to import a short box 1988 Land Cruiser from Japan when I go down there this summer. What model's do they have available in Japan? Engine type's? What to look for and look out for? Thanks for the help....

Peace

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
SWB 70 series in Japan for 1988 can be either hardtop or softop, powered by either carburated 3F or 3B diesel (could also be 13B-T turbo version). I don't think they had a 2H or 12HT in the SWB, but I'm not sure about the MWB with the removable fiberglass top. I probably wouldn't bother with a 3F, why go through the hassle of driving RHD if you can't at least enjoy a diesel, right?

I would look for higher-than-LX trim level so you can get some of the goodies (cable lockers, nice interior, A/C).

No 75 series were sold in Japan.

1988 (maximum year to meet the Canadian 15-year requirement) could net you a SWEET HJ61 with all the trimmings.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Try to get a BJ74, it's MWB and have the 13B-T. If you're real lucky you'll find one with cable lockers, AC and PTO winch.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
you could also look for a light duty LJ (2.4L turbo-D 2L-T -8"-coils...), but while at it I'd drop a 1KZ-T (fabulous engine) in :D Parts could be tricky, though... Oh, wait, fawk the 1KZ-T, get the 1KD-FTV (might not like the diesel fuel you have down there, though :( )

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Oops, I stand corrected! One more time, I've been taught a lesson, never make definitive statements when it comes to Land Cruisers! Merci! :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Why would you want a LJ cruiser? They have weaker axles, engines, transmission etc.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
jbt said:
Why would you want a LJ cruiser? They have weaker axles, engines, transmission etc.
Well... comfort, articulation, comfort, weight, comfort, handling... did I mention comfort ? The engine is not that powerful, but is almost adequate. I'd take a LJ73 anyday over a BJ73...

These things are the perfect hybrid between a car and a cruiser, are great (and comfortable !) offroaders... :D

but to each his own :flipoff2:

:beer:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
88 cruiser

Thanks for all the tips. I will be looking for a 88 desiel or turbo because like it was mentioned earlier, Canada only accepts cars 15 years or older. Does anyone have a picture of a 88 cruiser (short box, or the shorter verion)? Does anyone have the figures for the desiel version and the turbo version and the pro's and cons. Your help and great knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Re: 88 cruiser

nookmumracing said:
Thanks for all the tips. I will be looking for a 88 desiel or turbo because like it was mentioned earlier, Canada only accepts cars 15 years or older. Does anyone have a picture of a 88 cruiser (short box, or the shorter verion)? Does anyone have the figures for the desiel version and the turbo version and the pro's and cons. Your help and great knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks
there are some goop pics on this site and I think some specs for motors
http://www.brian894x4.com/FOREIGNTOYOTAMAINPAGE.html

engine specs
http://www.brian894x4.com/landcruiserenginestransmissions.html

some mil spec Cruisers here, just for fun
http://www.brian894x4.com/MILITARYTOYOTAS.html

John H

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
70 to 73 series

I really like the way the 73 series look. What would be the best motor trim combo to go with in the 70 series and 73 series? Are those the only 2 series that came in SWB and MWB, pre 1988? I'm getting quite excited as I look more and more into this. I drive an MKII MR2 Turbo SW20 3SGTE but new to the cruiser side of Yota's. I have some knowledge of turbo's so I'm leaning towards the turbo diesel. Is there a gas turbo as well in these series? Thanks again......

Peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts