Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i just recently purchased a 1979 CJ7 with power steering. the steering is really loose and it takes a lot of turns of the steering wheel to make a turn around the corner or even keep the thing straight on paved roads. im running 33" inch tires on a 6" lift, im not sure if its supposed to be like this or is it just worn out from running large tires for a number of years.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
558 Posts
33" tires aren't large. Infact they're on the small side for a 6" lift. That said, you can eliminate your tire size as being the culprit. Start with steering arm, steering box, tie rod, drag link, or a combination of everything...it's a 28 year old Jeep...who knows what has or hasn't, ever been replaced
Good luck

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yeah

Make sure everything is tight (bolts, nuts etc.)

Then start looking for things to fix.

I'd ditch the stock box mounts for a Big Daddy Offroad mount (~100 bucks). Worth it. The stock ones are crap, marginal with even stock tires and open front diffs.

And yes it does take more turns than a normal vehicle on Jeeps (low geared box).
________
Live Sexy Cams

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input, i had a closer look at the setup and the steering was okay but i think since it has a 4" shackle lift when the pitman arm moves the chassis moves left to right away from the axle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Second on the checking for tight bolts...mine work loose after almost no stress. I'm waiting to receive my steering box mount, I'm hoping that does the trick.

·
Registered
558 Posts
thanks for the input, i had a closer look at the setup and the steering was okay but i think since it has a 4" shackle lift when the pitman arm moves the chassis moves left to right away from the axle.
A 4" shackle lift is ridiculas! You mite want to tame that down a bit, you're setting yourself up for disaster.
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i just bough the vehicle last monday so ive been spending money on new tires and replacing all the fluids, but a new lift is coming very soon. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are planning on a new lift make sure you swap the front 2" leafs for 2.5" leafs like the rear. narrow leafs and worn rubber bushings make for sloppy road manners. Changing the bushings alone may help but those main eye bushings are a PITA.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
A 4" shackle lift is ridiculas! You mite want to tame that down a bit, you're setting yourself up for disaster.
Good luck
x2
I wouldn't even drive it offroad or on road till you get the shackles changed out. A good rule to live by is no more then one inch shackles on a traditional leaf sprung rig.

Is this your first jeep? or do you have some experience. JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

Good luck. It is lots of fun. just don't get frustrated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, this is not my first jeep and i do have some experience. yea driving it down the road is pretty creepy with those long shackles, the axles track right but the body sways, so you feel like you have to correct it and then it puts you all over the road. when i change the suspension im looking into putting the long stock springs of a late model YJ and doing a spring over just get the desired lift and give me decent travel. what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
No, this is not my first jeep and i do have some experience. yea driving it down the road is pretty creepy with those long shackles, the axles track right but the body sways, so you feel like you have to correct it and then it puts you all over the road. when i change the suspension im looking into putting the long stock springs of a late model YJ and doing a spring over just get the desired lift and give me decent travel. what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Mike

That will work well. On the CJ's I would ALWAYS replace the shitty steering box mounts (as mentioned by atblis) and cross brace the box to the opposite side of the frame. Big Daddy, SamsOffRoad, and MORE all make good steering box brackets. The stock brackets are an accident waiting to happen. You might think about the Sam's or MORE bracket that moves your steering forward by 1 1/4"...keep you from having to deal with it later when you want to extend the wheelbase a couple of inches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts