Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Moderhater
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, back story.

My pops bought this 1968 Bronco from Bob Lewis of Lewis Off Road enterprises back in 1972.
He drove it for a while, and blew the engine in '78. It's been in a garage ever since.

Yes, this truck has not been running longer than I've been alive lol
So, finally I convinced my dad to let me put the dang thing back together again so he can enjoy it.

We'll be doing a full restore on this, and making it like it was parked in the garage in 1978 and you pulled it back out.
Anything that's original will try to be re-used or refurbished.
Anything that's getting replaced will hopefully be NOS or OEM
Should be a fun time :)

Here's a few pics of it back in the day.

Truck will be painted original Chrome Yellow.
Undecided if we'll be doing a metallic blue hood or yellow.
This was the first truck sponsored by KC HiLites- that's pretty cool!
I've contacted a few other sponsors for stickers and/or vectors for us to reproduce the livery

Galpin Ford has one of Bob's trucks as well

Attachments

·
Moderhater
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It showed up today from California.... Pushed it into the back storage for now, we're busier than hell at the shop (I own a BMW/RR shop in Houston)

I'll get to unpacking it maybe this weekend. Need to buy shelves for everything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
Looks Fun!
There are still some NOS parts out there for the purists, but be prepared to pay for them.

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
Looks Fun!
There are still some NOS parts out there for the purists, but be prepared to pay for them.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
There's a "uncle" Bob Lewis on the SoCal Bronco list same guy? he's a retired Bronco race guy.

·
Premium Member
13,272 Posts
In!

I know you wanna keep it "as it was", but id reeeaaaaally think hard about throwing some discs on it and a newer quicker ratio steering box.

·
Moderhater
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In!

I know you wanna keep it "as it was", but id reeeaaaaally think hard about throwing some discs on it and a newer quicker ratio steering box.
We've discussed this over and over. Back and forth. Back and forth.
I completely agree with what your saying, it's a valid point
Ideally to make it "nice" and modern, would be to get rid of the 2 ton suspension (or so it feels), power steering, some progressive coils and valved shocks, disc brakes all the way around and put a 5 speed in it.

But, its not period correct.
You either do it one way whole hog, or you don't (in my opinion)

·
Premium Member
13,272 Posts
Gotcha, and I get it.

I'm just thinking "period correct" and don't wanna drive it, Vs give up a little and make it something I won't just park and look at. I remember front drums and what felt like 13 turns lock to lock steering. It wasn't fun to cruise around in. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
what Bronco list?
And yes, I'm very sure same guy.
On face Book https://www.facebook.com/socalbroncos/
A pretty active Yahoo email based list. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/socalbroncos/info
I also have a few friends that race a old Stroppe prepped Bronco in NORRA, they are both a wealth on knowledge on vintage racing Bronco's. I can put you I contact with them if you wish and I'm pretty sure at least one of them might have more pictures of your Bronco.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
can't wait to follow along :) and if you find a good source for reasonably priced body panels let me know.. mine looks like a raisin.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
A friend that knows Bob Lewis sent him a link to thread we'll see what memories it brings back he's great at telling old racing stories!

·
Moderhater
23,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Started unpacking everything.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 122 Posts