Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Is this Bronco an ex racer or just a bronco bought from Bob Lewis? It seems like it would have been a lot of work to return a cut up racer back to a streetable bronco and at the time it would have happened there would have been a good supply of decent broncos to build from so it seems odd that they would have gone through the trouble.

In any event I think I would add power steering and front discs, these were available in the later years of the early bronco and I would make the case that any decent racer would see the advantage and add them, I would only do it using the factory parts(ford parts for the discs instead of the chevy conversion and a factory bronco box for the steering).

I understand wanting to make it appear race ready but if you do that then I don't see it ever getting any use other then being displayed at a few shows, no windshield and a cage that you have to climb over to get in will quickly keep it as a show only truck, if you make concessions for those then power steering and front discs aren't much of a stretch, after all wasn't Stroppe adding those on at the aftermarket level at that time anyway?

·
Moderhater
23,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This was the chase truck. It was always streetable.

I understand what you mean. I'm gonna let my pops decide if he wants that. Discs front/rear and power steering with some more compliant suspension would be a huge bonus, but where do you start and stop?

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Chase truck makes sense, I would add front discs and leave the rear drums, is the front a dana 30 or a dana 44? If a 30 and if it won't get wheeled you could do the chevy brakes, if a 44 I would do ford stuff with an upgrade to the T-bird calipers if you want them to work a little better. Power steering with a 4 turn OEM box or the aftermarket delphi box that looks pretty much OEM, no 4x4x2 box or anything else.

A set of modern coils powder coated the proper color would be damn hard to spot, a set of the old style dual shock mounts and some 30/70 shocks from duffs would look right and probably work pretty decent as well, James duff may not answer the phone anymore but he is around and could probably makes some period correct suggestions that would make your bronco look right and be enjoyable to drive.

If your not a member there sign up at classic broncos and start a thread, there are a bunch of guys there that live and die broncos and some of them hoard NOS parts so you might be able to find anything you need.

·
Pavement Challenged
1,699 Posts
I've got Uncle Bob's email addy if you need it... I am sure he would be happy to know you have his rig...

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Love early broncos and own a 75 and 77. Hate to burst any bubbles, but don't see how the bronco you just received and the race bronco in the pictures can possibly be the same vehicle? The dash in the race vehicle would have been cut to pieces for gauges, the cage to pass through and so on.
As earlier poster stated, highly unlikely anyone would take a used up racer and attempt to restore it to factory and the pictures you've posted support the likelyhood that they aren't the same vehicle.

So what, have fun restoring it and have even more fun using it!

·
Moderhater
23,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Love early broncos and own a 75 and 77. Hate to burst any bubbles, but don't see how the bronco you just received and the race bronco in the pictures can possibly be the same vehicle? The dash in the race vehicle would have been cut to pieces for gauges, the cage to pass through and so on.
As earlier poster stated, highly unlikely anyone would take a used up racer and attempt to restore it to factory and the pictures you've posted support the likelyhood that they aren't the same vehicle.

So what, have fun restoring it and have even more fun using it!
I agree somewhat with what you say, but you can see there are variances in the pics and of the bronco in the museum as well- so it didn't seem there was a defacto race trim.

The big thing is that the history of the truck is there, and we know who had it/where it was/ etc.etc.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Do you have any pics of it in chase trim? Was it painted like the racers?

Being a chase truck very few people would know the exact details so adding a few modern concessions to make it a better driver should be no big deal as long as the fit the time period, disc brakes, power steering and even a C-4 auto trans would not be out of line, EFI would be as well as things like an aluminum radiator.

Race cars evolve over time, it would make sense that the chase truck would have as well so IMHO as long as any changes you make are period correct then it's OK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My thoughts exactly, it is the nature of race vehicles that they evolve over time. Can't easily compare any one particular picture with the current vehicle and say this is or isn't the vehicle. It takes more sleuthing than that. First person knowledge is extremely helpful in determining pedigree. Chase rigs & to some degree pre-runners are tools, doubt they ever get much documentation.
As was posted on the Bfix list:
Uncle Bob said:
My race Bronco and the one that used KC lites for the first time in a race sits in the Galpin Ford Museum in Sepulveda, Ca. The only other Chrome Yellow Bronco I owned was a ’68 that was used for pre running for a short time. It was not a race car when I had it.
Sounds to me like you can do whatever you want with it.

·
Pavement Challenged
1,699 Posts
Tom, you keep this up and your post count will rise... ;)

Glad to see you are still around.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
My bad, thought OP was saying bronco find was a retired racer. See now it was a chase rig for the racer, and that makes far better sense. Sorry if confused any.

·
Moderhater
23,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Pulled the engine harness and picked it up for the first time to check under it's skirt.
She's got a little work needed underneath. Nothing serious, really.

It's got a Dana 30 :(
Talked to my pops more and we came to conclusion we're going to modernize it.
As much as I want to keep it "old skool", the truck will be sucky to drive as it is.

Planned mods:
Dana 44 w/ discs.
Currently looking for a D44 if you know anyone selling one.
Gear change. Unsure what it's got in it now. Really, I'm thinking with the 5 speed trans, 32 or 33" tires and 4.11's or 4.56's will make this useful up to about 75mph.
According to Grim's gear calculator, 70mph in 5th will be a respectable 2373 RPM, with plenty of gear choices below that for hills and typical driving.

9" rear discs. Parking brake needs to be integrated. Caddy calipers I'm assuming I'll be using.

NV3550 5 speed swap. Need the whole shibang to swap over.

Power steering. Was looking into a 4 turn box.

Power brakes
Up in the air if a booster with the turn-out box is going to be used, or hydro boost from what I'm reading works well from an F250SD.

Compliant suspension.
We're gonna keep the dual shocks and coils, but put some progressive springs like some Wild Horses, and some decent valved shocks, painted black.
Remove the airbags, not needed.

Seats- thinking Corbeau with harnesses that can be run with just lap belts.
The driver's seat is broken, so seats are on the list anyways.

Cage- pull the bolt in/yuck welded cage and get something in it that follows the typical lines it currently has, but will be useful in an event it's needed. Possibly tie into frame.

Electric wipers (doesn't have anything right now)

Pops' want's it to be a driver.
Ok, we'll make it a driver.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Pulled the engine harness and picked it up for the first time to check under it's skirt.
She's got a little work needed underneath. Nothing serious, really.

It's got a Dana 30 :(
Talked to my pops more and we came to conclusion we're going to modernize it.
As much as I want to keep it "old skool", the truck will be sucky to drive as it is.

Planned mods:
Dana 44 w/ discs.
Currently looking for a D44 if you know anyone selling one.
Gear change. Unsure what it's got in it now. Really, I'm thinking with the 5 speed trans, 32 or 33" tires and 4.11's or 4.56's will make this useful up to about 75mph.
According to Grim's gear calculator, 70mph in 5th will be a respectable 2373 RPM, with plenty of gear choices below that for hills and typical driving.

9" rear discs. Parking brake needs to be integrated. Caddy calipers I'm assuming I'll be using.

NV3550 5 speed swap. Need the whole shibang to swap over.

Power steering. Was looking into a 4 turn box.

Power brakes
Up in the air if a booster with the turn-out box is going to be used, or hydro boost from what I'm reading works well from an F250SD.

Compliant suspension.
We're gonna keep the dual shocks and coils, but put some progressive springs like some Wild Horses, and some decent valved shocks, painted black.
Remove the airbags, not needed.

Seats- thinking Corbeau with harnesses that can be run with just lap belts.
The driver's seat is broken, so seats are on the list anyways.

Cage- pull the bolt in/yuck welded cage and get something in it that follows the typical lines it currently has, but will be useful in an event it's needed. Possibly tie into frame.

Electric wipers (doesn't have anything right now)

Pops' want's it to be a driver.
Ok, we'll make it a driver.
Cut down a HP Dana 44 and Caddy calipers bring the suck find a way to do a Explorer rear disc swap and you'll be a lot happier.

·
Moderhater
23,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Whats your location bud? I've got one but I'm probably too far east

EDIT: just remembered Texass :flipoff2: shipping probably wouldn't be worth it
I have cheap freight. Strap to a pallet, gimmie zip and residential/commerical, and if lift gate needed.

OR, if you can drop at local hub for me

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
4.11 on a 33, or 4.56 on a 35 will get you at a great cruising power. I ran that setup in my ranger with an exhausted 4L and I would only have to drop to 3rd on jinormous hills.

Great to see you're making it a driver.

I support the caddi calipers. I have them on the back of my explorer. only problem I ever had with them was the little rubber/plastic insert in the middle of the piston leaked. swapped it out with the lifetime warranty and all good.

Wild Horse progressive springs are what I have on my explorer as well. They ride awesome. seriously. Mine are the 5.5" lift springs, so a little taller than you are wanting, but man, they ride awesome.

Cutting down the HP44 would be the way to go, but finding one with weld on wedges for a price that is fair is tough. If you have the ability to get the whole axle from posford, shipping would likely be worth it.

excited to see how this pans out. And of course, Gotta have that yellow hood :)

21 - 40 of 113 Posts