Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help/advice about trimming the rear of this scout body to fit on my trail trekker. As you can see the wheelbase on the body is a bit shorter. I was thinking either of two things.....

Open up the wheel wells a lot, but retain the round shape.
Or more of a "comp cut" opening where I would cut straight across from the top of the wheel opening to the back.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Honestly your tire is so far back that I think the straight comp cut is the only viable option out of your choices.

I would also consider filling in the huge gap in the front of the rear wheel well with some styrene.

Keep us posted on your progress since that's a cool rig

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I did the comp style cut. I kind of butchered the back a little more than planned, damn dremel lol. Not horrible though. I trimmed the front fenders a bit too. Mounted a light bar and winch/bumper from a wrangler model kit.

Where do I buy styrene? Is styrene the same as what plastic model are made of?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres a few picture updates of the Micro Scout...

I finished the front bumper and made a functional working winch with a retractable keychain. I didn't think it would have enough power in it to give pull in tough spots. I was very impressed when it actually worked!

Keychain winch

Made a winch hook and tested it out.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was getting pretty bored with the body and decided it needed a change. After seeing a bunch of other builds on different RC crawlers, I knew I wanted to go with a "old weathered" look. And I also really wanted to run the interior from the Scout model.

I'll just post the pics, you'll get the idea.

Test fit the interior, I could make this work with some more trimming and a bunch of glue.

Started painting the body and giving it some scuffs and damage to the paint.

Rust-

Green-

After scuffing the paint with a sanding pad -

Painted the grill rust, and then used a dry brush with steel paint -

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good. I like the weathered look on RCs.
Me too. I plan to make some body panels out of metal flashing for my wraith. I'll probably paint them with primer and rust underneath, and then top coat them. The metal is pretty thin so they should scratch and dent pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the new tires. Also found a little friend to guard the truck, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts