Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help/advice about trimming the rear of this scout body to fit on my trail trekker. As you can see the wheelbase on the body is a bit shorter. I was thinking either of two things.....

Open up the wheel wells a lot, but retain the round shape.
Or more of a "comp cut" opening where I would cut straight across from the top of the wheel opening to the back.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Honestly your tire is so far back that I think the straight comp cut is the only viable option out of your choices.

I would also consider filling in the huge gap in the front of the rear wheel well with some styrene.

Keep us posted on your progress since that's a cool rig

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I did the comp style cut. I kind of butchered the back a little more than planned, damn dremel lol. Not horrible though. I trimmed the front fenders a bit too. Mounted a light bar and winch/bumper from a wrangler model kit.

Where do I buy styrene? Is styrene the same as what plastic model are made of?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres a few picture updates of the Micro Scout...

I finished the front bumper and made a functional working winch with a retractable keychain. I didn't think it would have enough power in it to give pull in tough spots. I was very impressed when it actually worked!

Keychain winch

Made a winch hook and tested it out.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting pretty bored with the body and decided it needed a change. After seeing a bunch of other builds on different RC crawlers, I knew I wanted to go with a "old weathered" look. And I also really wanted to run the interior from the Scout model.

I'll just post the pics, you'll get the idea.

Test fit the interior, I could make this work with some more trimming and a bunch of glue.

Started painting the body and giving it some scuffs and damage to the paint.

Rust-

Green-

After scuffing the paint with a sanding pad -

Painted the grill rust, and then used a dry brush with steel paint -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.