Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize my stock motor does not have a ton of HP. But, the past two trips I took to Tellico and Harlan really siappointed me. The samurai would not crawl anything. Everything had to be hit hard or conquered by sidestepping the clutch. This created a huge repair bill. Broken: front axle/ hub / transfer case mounts / tranny mount / blown winch / Transfer case output shaft.
I wonder if the change in altitude had anything to do with it?
Does anyone have any ideas on things I should check. I have not had this problem before and I am wondering where to start chasing down the problem.
General specs
Toy axles
4.89 t case
35" tires
stretched wheelbase
motor rebuilt 500 miles ago or 2 years
elec fuel pump

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wonder if the change in altitude had anything to do with it?
It happened to mine. THis past summer from wheeling in NY, then when i went to MOAB, i noticed a huge difference in power loss(to where i was slipping the clutch big time), when i got home it was all fine again. Is it noticeable where you usually drive it?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the rig works great at lower altitude. I am thinking the air is thinner and it is running rich. Can this thing be re-jetted.
Jetting the carb may be too much pain if I need to do it everytime I go out of state.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i thought they had hgh altitude sensors that helped make up for that, is that possibly unpluged or busted? i have no idea im just trying to help, im an efi guy myself and i had no problems in NC

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
At those altitudes, I wouldn't think you would have any issue. When I get up to the 12-13,000 ft elevations, you start to see major H.P. loss. Might just have to do a basic tune-up. Maybe check your valves and adjust as needed. Have seen many power issues related to valves being out of adjustment. Even after a hard trip, I have seen them go out of adjustment. Just an idea. Have also seen where even a motor that doesn't smoke,has dirty valves. The valves don't seat properly so you basicly are losing compression and losing much power. Do a compression test.

Did it run good before? then only bad when your there wheeling, or does it run bad now too?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought they had hgh altitude sensors that helped make up for that, is that possibly unpluged or busted? i have no idea im just trying to help, im an efi guy myself and i had no problems in NC
Dont know about the sensors. I will check under the hood for loose wires.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At those altitudes, I wouldn't think you would have any issue. When I get up to the 12-13,000 ft elevations, you start to see major H.P. loss. Might just have to do a basic tune-up. Maybe check your valves and adjust as needed. Have seen many power issues related to valves being out of adjustment. Even after a hard trip, I have seen them go out of adjustment. Just an idea. Have also seen where even a motor that doesn't smoke,has dirty valves. The valves don't seat properly so you basicly are losing compression and losing much power. Do a compression test.

Did it run good before? then only bad when your there wheeling, or does it run bad now too?

You may be on to something. With the valves and tune up. I would only say It ran good not great. It seems to have a slight skip you can hear in the exhaust only. I am building a Formula Toyota for 08 comps, but mid week I will be stuck waiting for parts and I will do the compression test and some repair work. We have a local comp to run in Spartanburg and I want to compete in one of my rigs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts