Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 F250 with a 351w 5.7L v8

no power. And i mean nothing. Battery tests 12.4 on the volt meter but you turn the key and get nothing. The truck was driving down the road when it crapped out. Just died, no power, done.

haven't looked at it yet, but what are some ideas to check. First i want to swap batteries, but i hear the computers go out in these things too. Any major fuses to check?

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
No electrical power to start, not even a click? First make sure you have good power connections, and have the batteries tested if you can. I'd start there before swapping batteries or even thinking about a bad computer.

EDIT: Check the fuses while you're at it as well.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My bet would be the fusible link on the accessory power wire from the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
My bet would be the fusible link on the accessory power wire from the solenoid.
This... then the big fuses under the hood... (If it has them. Not sure what year they started using them... Between 85 and 93 is all I know!)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Negative battery cable tight? It's either the fuse like others mentioned, or your negative battery cable came loose.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This... then the big fuses under the hood... (If it has them. Not sure what year they started using them... Between 85 and 93 is all I know!)
With the new body style in 92. 89 wont have them, but it will have a bunch of fusible links over near the starter relay.

I dont think its the ECM, doesnt make sense to me. If you turn the key on and dont get power, then either the multi-function switch below it is fucked up and not sending power to everything, or its not getting power to send. So yeah id start with the fusible links, and then trace all your power wires back until you find your problem.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the suggestions. The truck is over at my dads house and i'll be out of town for the next 9 days. Ill update this thread when i get back and have a chance to look it over. Hopefully the solution is staring at me when i pop the hood.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem solved. It was a fuseable link next to the battery in the bundle of wires. There were already a few in there that had been cut and crimped back together. One of those was fucked up. I redid them all for piece of mind.

thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Check your in-line fuses. Even the early 70's Fords had those and they were often a sneaky culprit.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
5.8 Liter

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts