Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost Coast Pre Run was to verify what trails could be used to make a complete loop along the Northern California Coast. The pre run covered 340 miles of which a lot of it lead to locked gates and dead ends. The final road and trail tour that has been posted offers a great trip to see some amazing sights as well as stops to be social and get to know your fellow travelers.

See the full album of pre run images here: 2015 Lost Coast - Pre Run

The images below are of the pre run done as a last minute family trip. The start of the pre run had lots of fun back roads which sadly were very rough and not good for those who have sports cars.

After some pavement, we came to the first open stretch of dirt trail. This is a county road, which was fun and had some great views of the mountain range.

The dirt trail ends right at the coast where we turned north to follow HWY 1. For those who have ever done this section of HWY 1 you know how amazing the sights are.

We made a quick restroom stop in Mendocino as well as to allow our 14 month old to get out of the car seat for a little.

We reached the main section of dirt trail past Fort Bragg where the trail was very tight and windy. This was as fun section of trail and lead to Usla beach.

The second trail past Usla beach is more open as well as leads to a great overlook of the cost.

http://www.raddrives.com/albums/2015-Lost_Coast-Pre-Run/slides/LostCoast-Pre%2841%29.jpg[/img]

The end of the run to Eureka took us along the shoreline before making our way back inland to end a very long but fun day.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I was just at USAL last month. Beats the hell out of the weather here
Have the conditions improved? It used to be our "go to" destination (I proposed at the S end of the beach) but after 3 consecutive trips of riff raff, trash and over - flowing shitters; we have not been for 3 years :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bridges are at the bottom of the road at Usal beach. To get there you need to go
north of Rockport just past Cottoneva creek/bridge and take a sudden left turn up the
dirt county road and follow it over the ridge down into Lost Coast. It's just about 19
miles north of here. Some of the photos are of the south coast. This Lost Coast area
is here in Mendocino county and goes up into some of Humbolt county. Last time I drove
up there was last year. Still some crappy stuff (shithouses) but it still has spectacular
views. Lived here since 1960 in the area.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Has anyone been up there? Heard nothing good. Would like to go in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Some of my buddies went in, 3weeks ago:eek:
1 towin his rig w\ a motorhome :rolleyes:so yea booze cruize...
The word was the road was so shitty that it made the m\h comparable in performance driving in.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Was the campground tore up, homeless living there? Yahoo's shooting guns?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Usal campground is the very edge of my beat. Last week I made it to the campground in a charger by picking my lines carefully. It was I think Wednesday and only a half dozen decent lookin folks in there. I camp there usually once or twice a year and weekends get rowdy so I go on weekdays only.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Usal campground is the very edge of my beat. Last week I made it to the campground in a charger by picking my lines carefully. It was I think Wednesday and only a half dozen decent lookin folks in there. I camp there usually once or twice a year and weekends get rowdy so I go on weekdays only.
Great info. Can you drive the lost coast trail to shelter cove?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The north part or the road from usal to whitethorn is still open as far as I know but it’s a 4x4 road or better yet a mc. It got torn up bad. We rarely go in that way as it’s faster to take sr1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts