Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother out of state has a 74 Dodge power ram. I am curious if there are any of you who may have the info on what gears came in this era of truck. It is a D60 rearFF, and D44 fr. It came factorywith a 360 and auto, divrced Tcase (I presume NP205). He wants to lift it, go 38s, maybe more. The pirate bible doesnt cover Dodge axles, so help would be great. I have him looking at the tag on the axle in the morning, so hopefully that will tell me.

Also, do any of you know spring dimensions on said truck?? We are curious as to whether other truck springs may fit. I have an old Chevy 6" lift, and he may wanna try to use it if possible. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
SJ410Bark said:

Also, do any of you know spring dimensions on said truck?? We are curious as to whether other truck springs may fit. I have an old Chevy 6" lift, and he may wanna try to use it if possible. Thanks guys
Check out the suspension TOTW... lloyd put chevy 6" front springs on his dodge.
Rear sprigns are 52" like chevys too, but have an offset pin, 24"/28" i believe.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yeah, GM front springs are a direct swap. You get a bit of extra lift because the eyes on Dodge springs are under the leaves while GM put them over, and I think this also provides a bit less shackle bind in high-flex situations. Studs on the D44 aren't long enough to let you use a 5-leaf pack with a shim; but with a divorced 205 you should have enough front driveshaft length that the angle might not be an issue. You will need to mix and match, or machine, a mis-matched set of bushings unless you replace the upper shackle mounts with ones like PJCTPW posted. I hope you've got rear springs and not blocks; it's got 4" blocks already.

38's or more on a D44 under one of these fat pigs will probably be throwing front axle parts over the entire hemisphere; you could run CTM joints and your stub shafts should interchange with the Warn product for GM's, but on my 77 the long-side inner could only be had from Moser - material is 1541 not 4340, and mixed feedback posted here on whether they're better or not as good as Spicer. Start looking for a front 60, and think about how you want to get 35 spline stuff for the rear. My new front axle came with a 70 rear, but it's got a queer pinion offset and I'm seriously thinking about reaming the spindles on my 60 to use those axles, selling the Power-Loc on ebay, and donating the carcass to a yard.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
38's and a dana 44 is a bad combo if you put a locker in it. i broke axles all the time in the lightweight jeep i had.;)

73 and up GM front springs will fit. the earlier ones('72 and down) are to short and pull the shackle too far forward.

gears could be 3.55 or 4.10's, but more than likely they'll be 4.10's

:beer:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the front wont be locked, or even posi. The rear may later. This is his work truck, and he is more after an appearance, than actual off road prowess. So he just wants it lifted higher than his 33s. Nothin too special.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts