Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a lowbuck tube notcher? I was wondering how good it does at notching angles? Is it accurate at notching angles needed?

Thanks ,
Dirk

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
mostly its a time/money thing a grinder will work but it takes more time/a notcher will work but that takes more money How much is your time worth?and I think most notchers are in about the same price range?(at least the ones I have seen)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have the el cheapo harbour freight model, so far it has worked well. They are not accurate, but they are far more accurate than a grinder. They are also much faster. I have found, that you are limited on your angle's depending on tubing size though.

$35.00 is not expensive.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
When you compare it to a Bridgeport Milling Machine I would say that is it pretty low buck :flipoff2:

·
Registered
873 Posts
6" bench grinder...if you have one then all you need is a dedicated wheel...around 4-6 bucks. Dress the wheel and pow super low buck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Is the Harbor Freight notcher yer talking about the one that fits to a drill press? I've been looking for one I saw that was more "hand held", but I talked to a guy at HF about it and he said he didn't have one.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
the more tube work you do the more valuable it is...otherwise if you a one or two time tube fabber go with the HF.....I have used them for years they work fine...been through three

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The guy was asking about a Low Buck notcher. Not a Harbor Freight notcher, not a chop saw, not a Bridgeport and not a dedicated bench grinder.

Does anyone have any tech on the Low Buck Tools notcher?

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
waverider said:
The guy was asking about a Low Buck notcher. Not a Harbor Freight notcher, not a chop saw, not a Bridgeport and not a dedicated bench grinder.

Does anyone have any tech on the Low Buck Tools notcher?
I used them at the shop where I built my first exo... They work awesome on 90 degree notches. You can get a perfect notch in about 10 seconds. You still need to play with the grinder to get angled notches.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with JeepRecoveryTeam. Easy and quick for 90*, but angles are a little harder. I've got the low buck and a HF cheapo and use both.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I have one. works very quick for 90' notches, but more difficult
for off-perpendicular notches. fairly easy to notch about 30'
but after that it's more of a little-notch, then grind kind of deal.
over all it's OK, but it also does take quite a bit of effort to make
a full-cut notch in 2" .120 tube............. (I use a 36" handle,
with a slight bend to make the handle more horizontal) and it
takes alot of my 265# to make that cut.....

you gotta make the mount for it ROCK SOLID. clamping it in
a vice with not work.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Works great. Fast, Clean and last forever(well almost) you won't wear one out building cages. I probable have 2500 plus copes on mine(cages, frames, oh and lots of pipe rail panels and handrails)

·
Registered
626 Posts
where can I buy them ????

In Spain they are unavailable????
HELP !!!!!:beer: :skull:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Ive used one, my buddy has when we did the back half of my cage, I loved it but for the money and the limitations it has by design I wouldnt buy one. If you do ALOT of 90s and such this thing is the shit because its so damn fast and easy!Id say if 350.00 doesnt seem like to bad a price to you get it, Im to poor for that though. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
$350 is not low buck in my book. I use the HF model and it works fine but if I were to do it again I would prolly buy the JD2 notcher. Similar to HF but is way more heavyduty and uses a couple bearings instead of bushings.

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
waverider said:
Yeah, but he has "Low Buck" in lower-case letters, as one word in the question........ so people probably thought he was refering to low buck as in "inexpensive, not as the company. Calm down Susan, it'll be ok:flipoff2:
________
Prilosec Lawsuit Information

1 - 20 of 24 Posts