Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 4runner and I finally saved enough to get 35'' or 36'' tires. I don't really have enough money for a lift big enough to clear them. I am a fan of cut fenders and I think people who aren't fans are wussies.
I was just looking for info on people who have cut their fenders, what type of lift, if any used. ANd What tire size these mods allowed.
I was personally thinking about buying 3'' lift and trimming whatever needs it. WOuld this clear 35's or 36's
ANy info would be helpful>

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Check the last 3 pages in my buildup thread in my sig and while your at Marlins BBS, find CTENG. He's running 35" boggers on factory springs on a 85 runner. He did just lift it recently but he ran it stock for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I agree - should not take too much, I have somewhere around 6" of lift on my 4Runner and am runnign 38.5's, and could run 39.5's if I wanted.

I think I had around 4.5" on my 90 truck and was running 35x16 boggers.

Never cut a single fender on either one - but I did move the front axle forward 2-3" on both of them.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
83 short bed, 2" lift, trimmed fenders. Fits 35x16x15 Boggers easily. If I moved my axle forward (rear springs up front) and cut into my firewall, etc. I could fit 38s with 1 more inch of lift. ;) Not that I want to churn 38s on Toy axles though...

Bed trimming

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
I run about 3.5" of lift via AP 2" springs with thier hangers & shackles. Axle is 2" forward, 1-1.5" of trimming on front fenders. As much trimming as possible on bed while still having the use of my gas tank filler neck in its stock location, and the fenderwells are still intact. 37" MTRS with MEGA scrub radius (2.5" BS 15x8's and 1.5" Spacers) and i only rub a little on the battery tray and at the firewall. BTW proper bumpstop location is key to making this work. I have aprox 1.75" of free spacer between bumpstops and Ubolt flip plates on the front. And No bumpstops in rear.

http://nowhitefenders.com/jack_hammer_johnson_valley_oct_1.htm

Mines the White 85.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
vortectoy said:
App. 4-5" lift,axle forward 4.5" 39.5's.Still needs a few things to get it on the trail so im not sure if it will rub.
Lookin' kick ass man.

How long until we can go try it out? :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vortec toy or max volume, HOw did you move your front axle foward? do you just have to drill a hole through your springs?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Lord Orange said:
i got some lift and 39.5 on my runner.

how do you like the stock front spring hangers? is your caster messed up, do you drive it on the street? and what springs do you have rears up front?

·
Registered
601 Posts
slightdrift said:
Vortec toy or max volume, HOw did you move your front axle foward? do you just have to drill a hole through your springs?
Rear springs up front,hanger moved forward,redrilled pirch.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I clear 35"s on my IFS runner with a 2" body lift and longer rear shackles to level the body. It took a little fender massaging with a BFH (just the welded flange).

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
On my '81 I've got 3" All Pro springs in the AP hanger which moved the axle moved foward about 1.5" I'm also using 1" shackles. I'm running 36" Iroks and clear my fire wall okay. I running a flat bed but I imagine with a bed it'd be okay. Balance your spring and shackle lift so your pinion angle doesn't suck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts