Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem since I bought the truck a couple of years ago. During normal driving the oil pressure is good, it rises with the rpm's. During hard accelaration it will rise then drop and the light will come on. I've changed the oil several times and used different types of oil filters. Is there some type of oil pressure relief valve that could be weak?? Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Could be as simple as a faulty sending unit or guage. Or there could be a problem with the pickup, possibly partially plugged, or too close to the pan etc....

Best thing would be to hook up a mechanical guage and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
what truck? what engine? front or rear sump?
Agreed, hook up a mechanical gauge and see for sure. Sounds like too low an oil level and it is sucking air when teh acceleration forces the oil to the rear.

Eric

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
how hard are you accellerating (floorboard or half throttle)?

when you say the guage rises then drops is the rise a spike and then immediately drops.

agree on the sending unit as a possibility

it is possilble that you have worn cam bearings they are what acutally will create the oil pressure. usually oil pressure is measured after the oil is filtered on its way to the top of the engine. if your cam bearings are bad then at low rpm there is enough resistance to the flow of the oil to allow the buildup of pressure but when you speed up the cam you are allowing it to wobble around in the bearings creating more opportunity to bleed off the pressure the oil pump is creating

Had similar problem with a 4.0 Explorer but that was due to the sending uint coming apart and blowing all the oil out so it ran down the road a little way w/o any oil. but did get to rip off a used car dealer selling it to him (tranny wouldn't shift to O/D, 80K more than indicated) and the oil pressure problem

check the sending unit

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sounds like it may be sucking air. Can the oil be moving away from the pickup during hard accel? That is why race pans have baffles,windage trays and trap doors, etc. Keeps the oil at the pickup.

More info. What motor? Stock? Modified? How hard is your acceleration?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts