Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Thanks! I think i'm going to try and and leave it cable, fits with the whole old school theme, Only problem is is its missing the power in switch on the solenoid so I'm going to have to figure that out.
I used a starter type solenoid on mine. It seems to have worked well for years now with some REALLY long pulls. No problems so far. I will have to dig for a part number.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I used a starter type solenoid on mine. It seems to have worked well for years now with some REALLY long pulls. No problems so far. I will have to dig for a part number.
I have a continuous duty 80 amp starter solenoid on mine.
Napa Echlin ECH ST85

On that I run a Warn wireless remote system.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good radiator fit. Might just want to place some rubber in between the mount and it though if not already there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Great build.
Did the axles come from the M37 CORNFED is building ?
Thanks! haha yeah we actually just had a good laugh that somebody made that connection! We went up and got almost two complete m37's(in peices) and we're really only going to use the cab for this his build, so thats when I decided might as well use the axles, hate to see any of that old iron go to waste.

Good radiator fit. Might just want to place some rubber in between the mount and it though if not already there.
Yeah it fit better than I had hoped, not having the cap to worry about was nice. And I did slip some rubber in there before it went together for the last time, The cool thing about the volvo rad is that its pretty heavy steel braces between the two tanks so it made it possible to actually weld the fan mounts on, so hopefully the rest of it will hold up pretty well.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Thanks! haha yeah we actually just had a good laugh that somebody made that connection! We went up and got almost two complete m37's(in peices) and we're really only going to use the cab for this his build, so thats when I decided might as well use the axles, hate to see any of that old iron go to waste.
I am chuckling that you guys are chuckling. I sure miss living in the PNW, the Midwest blows
As a fan of old iron and frugality, threads like these get picked over for details pretty hard by me...:smokin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yeah I hear ya, Alot of my family lives in wisconsin, and its crazy visiting everybody is driving brand new trucks, and you never see anything old, its either in a museum or so far gone your afraid to look in case it falls in on itself.

Well nothing really new, But I did have it out saturday! went up to go find some snow, We ended up getting into almost 2 feet of wet icy gross snow, but it was still fun. went along way before we turned around, I was in the back but I guess the road up to an old fire lookout we were trying to get too was getting sketchy(off camber snow drifts on a cliff side road).

So couple of things I need to change, I need to build steering arms, I went from rear steer to tie rod in the front. but all I did was flip the knuckles, so the Ackerman angle is wayyyy off. Need to find a 2.3l core so I can mock up a bellhousing for my scout t18, and tune the 2.3 so its not a royal turd. That samurai in the picture is a bone stock, motor freshly rebuilt, but still higher axle gears and taller tires and it left me in the dust. hopefully things will be changing soonish. thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well brought the jeep up from the barn today, Guess I should prolly get it ready for EJS.... Think I have my 4 speed situation figured out. I did some trading with a guy up the road, and ended up with a ford t18, Which has the short 6 1/2" input shaft, 6:1 first, and the trapezoid adapter for the rear output.

The guy I got the tranny from already had it all stripped down and cleaned for me, so I can re-drill for the jeep dana 18/20 adapter. I also need to figure out how to adapt this to the 2.3l I already have.

Man! even just the bare case is heavy, definitely bigger than the t-90

After transfer punching the adapter holes where I wanted it clocked, Drilled and tapped for 3/8-16 should work out great.

At this point I needed a bellhousing to figure out how to adapt that to the transmission. Original plan was to find an extra and use that. That way I didn't have to tear into the jeep until I absolutely had too, but you wouldn't believe how much trouble it is to find an early 2.3l bellhousing. Soooo.......

Off comes the tub, and apart comes the jeep! way better than trying to do it from below. You can see my first goofy adapter set up to make the t90j work with the shallower pinto bellhousing, held up surprisingly well!

So Now I have the bellhousing. Had to open the bearing hole up about .400" for the T18 retainer. The pinto transmission pattern is a quite a bit narrower than the standard Ford, so I plan on drilling a taping into the front of the case and attaching the bellhousing that way.

It should work out great, the way the pinto crank is set up, the factory 7" deep bellhousing works perfectly with the 6 1/2" input shaft, so I shouldn't need any sort of spacer or adapter, but that is tomorrows project so we with see!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Well, Have the transmission mocked up where it should be, tossed an old dana 20 I had laying around on the back just for mock up. Also I didn't realize that my transfer case adapter wouldn't work with the d18, so that is just one more thing i've gotta figure out.

Anyways Started working on the mounts and skidplate for the whole setup.
I had a couple of GM transmission mounts laying around from the way I had the t90 mounted. Turns out if you flip them over and notch the bottom (now the top) they bolt right up to a factory t18 adapter.

The lowest point of the new drivetrain is only about 1 1/2 below the frame rails, I should still have reasonable belly clearance.

I started with some 1/4" x 3" flatbar drilled for the mount.

Ended up plating the frame with some 1/8" flat bar, just to simplify the mounting of the skid, It better matches the factory mount(someday I'll have a nice clean straight frame to work with haha). Across the front of the t18 is a piece of 1X2" that will serve as the forward mount for the skid plate the same material is run down each side of the frame the make up the deeper depth the mount is than the frame. Everything should be tied together so hopefully it is plenty strong.

Some more 1/4" x 3" drilled for two of the factory trans crossmember holes then added three others in the extra steel that I added. Tried to add some style with the speed holes.

Well, thats all for now, thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Like the Jeep man!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on the M37 axles?

How is the turning radius with the closed knuckles?
Thanks!

Hmm, anything specific?
the wheel mounting surface is 72"
drop out third member, with a 9 5/8th ring gear,
Coarse 16 spline shafts
5 on 6 5/8ths
and Giant 14 inch drum breaks with snail adjusters
front axles are Tracta joints.

As for turning.... HAHAHA I've seen barges turn tighter circles!

I honestly don't know how well they would turn in proper form, My jeep is so low I had to flip the knuckles to put the tie rod in front of the axle(oil pan clearance) So the ackerman angle is all jacked up, I think with new steering arms it will fix it, but is definitely not an open knuckle axle.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thanks!

Hmm, anything specific?
the wheel mounting surface is 72"
drop out third member, with a 9 5/8th ring gear,
Coarse 16 spline shafts
5 on 6 5/8ths
and Giant 14 inch drum breaks with snail adjusters
front axles are Tracta joints.

As for turning.... HAHAHA I've seen barges turn tighter circles!

I honestly don't know how well they would turn in proper form, My jeep is so low I had to flip the knuckles to put the tie rod in front of the axle(oil pan clearance) So the ackerman angle is all jacked up, I think with new steering arms it will fix it, but is definitely not an open knuckle axle.
I was reading through your thread and was curious how they stack up compared to more standard options for axles for vintage rigs. Oddball parts swapping is always more interesting that using what everybody else does.

What is the shaft diameter on the coarse spline shafts?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't come into the Willys section often, but when I do I always look to see if this build has been bumped. Keep up the good work. I love the simplicity.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
When you flipped the spindles, did you have to swap them side to side to maintain proper camber? How did you fix the Ackerman or have you yet?

·
4X4 HACK
2,970 Posts
Another great build!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Well I feel terrible... Ok not too terrible, but its been a while since ive updated, had to search a bit to find my thread! Thanks for the compliments though! sorry I havn't gotten back on In a while.

So, to answer a few questions that were left unaswered about the axles:

They are a 16 spline 1.38" shaft or there abouts, kind of a gross casting.

For the front Factory its a push/pull setup, with the tie rod behind the axle. I wanted it to steer in the front with a crossover style steering, so all I had to do was flip the knuckles, that part was easy, but now the ackerman is opposite of what you would want. So it steers like a barge, and scrubs like a janitor. At some point I plan to build a true highsteer arm to correct this but for now it works well enough.

Alright, well Moab was a blast had an awesome time, and the flat fender run kicked but! didn't think I was gonna make, becuase my starter was crapping out. This was also the second starter I had gone through that week. but after treating like a piniata, It started to work again. Anyways here's some pics from my trip.

This was Hole In the Rocks I think?

Don't try and keep up with guys with coilovers....
This was on Hole in the Rocks, along with a blown up electric fan, blown power steering line, and broken clutch cable.... it was brutal, but at least it snowed haha.

I think this is out by Gold Bar Rim, but we never actually made it there, so I'm not really too sure. Its early in the week though becuase my front fenders are still straight. area BFE, green day, and the first obsticle after the gate keeper on Helldorado, did those in... as well as the first starter.

Flat fender run! That was probably the highlight of my week! awesome meeting some of the guys and seeing the faces behind the jeeps. and seeing bone stock jeeps rock that rock face! the best was the Pickup with the plow attachment. made my day!.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts