Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is directed to people with some input for those of us that live in California.

Here at work we have two water trucks that have a GVW of over 26000lbs.

That requres the operator to have a commercial class "B" or "A" with a tank endorsment. If it was under 26k# then anyone with a class "C" could drive it around. :homer:

I know you can get the commercial vehicles re-weighed at a certified scale, then take that to the DMV and you can reduce your yearly registration fees. (If its under what the DMV has on file for you truck) Been there, done that...

What Im wondering is if you can change the manufactured GVW of a vehicle and get it down below the magic 26k# mark....

Thoughts?

Chris:cool2:

·
Registered
590 Posts
How Close Are You To 26,000?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I know for a fact that the city of Phoenix has trucks that that's been done to

no idea how though

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
I've done that for just that purpose. For example we took a tractor with a 20k rear axle and a 12.5 front, streached it and put a 20 foot flatbed on it. We re-registered it with DMV for 26k.

It still has air brakes though, which requires an endorsement, but that's easy to get.

Trailer Guy built a trailer for Golden Gate Petroleum. He put (2) 7k axles under it, but we registered it for 9,999 lbs so drivers with class Cs can pull it with pickups.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've done that for just that purpose. For example we took a tractor with a 20k rear axle and a 12.5 front, streached it and put a 20 foot flatbed on it. We re-registered it with DMV for 26k.

It still has air brakes though, which requires an endorsement, but that's easy to get.

Trailer Guy built a trailer for Golden Gate Petroleum. He put (2) 7k axles under it, but we registered it for 9,999 lbs so drivers with class Cs can pull it with pickups.
Can you elaborate a bit more on how you did this? I have always heard of people in CA getting this done but haven't heard exactly how its done. I have heard people refer to it as "downrating" a truck but am not sure if thats the right term to use at the DMV. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
fill the truck up till its near the gvw of 25,999lbs

go to private CERTIFIED scales, not the one on the highway, and get a offical weight, take that to dmv and show them i and that the truck is full[ish]

pay the money and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Soooo - Using this method I could potentially buy a day cab, throw a small bed on it, load it up, take it to the scales and show them that its about as full as its going to get. Then proceed to take weight sheet to DMV and register it at new "full" weight based on weight receipt?

Am I over simplifying this a bit or am I on the money?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Soooo - Using this method I could potentially buy a day cab, throw a small bed on it, load it up, take it to the scales and show them that its about as full as its going to get. Then proceed to take weight sheet to DMV and register it at new "full" weight based on weight receipt?

Thanks
good question. i would think that this may work for registration and liscence requirements,as does converting a big truck or bus to a motor home.

however,i dont think you want to be caught hauling freight with a motor home,nor do you want to be in an accident or get pulled over with a load way exceding your GVWR,as you could face fines,and possible refusal of your insurance company to be liable.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
redcheetah

Thanks

good question. i would think that this may work for registration and liscence requirements,as does converting a big truck or bus to a motor home.

however,i dont think you want to be caught hauling freight with a motor home,nor do you want to be in an accident or get pulled over with a load way exceding your GVWR,as you could face fines,and possible refusal of your insurance company to be liable.
yes on both parts, you had better not get busted fo rany reason exceeding your weight rating whether you can physicaly hold the amount or not.

while it is significantly cheaper to insure and license a vehcile with a lighter weight rating, once youre over 10,000 you had might as well go all the way, especialy if you plan on actually using it for real word use not a fun or showoff toy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been researching hdt with RV registration recently but after seeing this thread, I am considering a Day Cab with a downrating.

I do not intend to use it commercially, overweight, etc. I know the repercussions of those actions and I don't want any piece. I am interested in the rigs for recreation use only and using it around the house (I have a project house). I know these trucks are a bit overkill for my uses but I dont care.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem we have is driving the water trucks to the work sites... Not enough class A drivers... When the trucks are full and working its off the public road anyways so no special class is needed... When they are going to the site its empty anyways...

We run trucks from Bakersfield all the way to Oregon to jobsites...

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
i think a day cab with a big pimpass 5th wheel camper would rock.

i this was in the oddball rigs thread and i would dd in an instant.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
This is like the debates over the "hotshot" thing. In fact, what we're talking about here is the exact opposite move.

Registered weight rating and manufacturers maximum weight ratings have nothing to do with each other. You could register a pickup for 80,000 lbs and a Peterbilt class 8 tractor for 26,000.

As long as you never exceeded any axle or tire ratings, you could legally pull 80,000# with the pickup.

But if you went over the scales at 26,001 in the Pete you'd better have the right license and you would get an overweight ticket. You would hardly notice the load behind you, but you'd be illegal.

It's all about the $.

De-rating your rig so you can drive it with a class C is no more difficult than going to the DMV and reregistering it. They ask you on the form what weight you want to register for, the clerk types it in and you're done. Pay your fees and go. I suggest that you go to a DMV that deals with commercial vehicles on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
The problem we have is driving the water trucks to the work sites... Not enough class A drivers... When the trucks are full and working its off the public road anyways so no special class is needed... When they are going to the site its empty anyways...

We run trucks from Bakersfield all the way to Oregon to jobsites...

That's why you see so many of the big companies trailering their water trucks. That and they run red-dye fuel in them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
thanks to you assholes and your wealth of information, I will be balls deep in the new issue of "Big Truck and Equipment Trader" looking for a nice day cab. Thanks a lot!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
543 Posts
If it is just for hauling your own junk then run an old truck and reigister it historical vehicle. That's what I do with military 6x6's. Never been stopped to have anyone ask what I'm moving and why....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts