Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've heard that the crate engines chevy is selling are 50 state legal and you don't even have to go to the referee - just show the EO number. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Internet says 2011 Colorado with a 5.3 is 4100-4300 depending on which cab you get
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/colorado/2011.tab1.html
Your link is showing GVWR from 4850 to 5300. The lower values are 2wd trucks.

If the ref is claiming strictly based upon GVWR having to be the same or lower than the target vehicle, it appears you are hit or miss on a Tacoma.

Back in the day, GVWR was used to determine a class of truck and as long as target and donor were same class or the donor was a lighter, life was good. Yes, dropping a car engine into a truck was good. But truck into a car was a no-go.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was thinking, for people who have vehicles registered in a smog exempt county, do engine change guidelines still apply? Obviously it would if you sold a vehicle but what if you don't plan to?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was thinking, for people who have vehicles registered in a smog exempt county, do engine change guidelines still apply? Obviously it would if you sold a vehicle but what if you don't plan to?
If you don't have to smog it you can throw in whatever you want.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts