Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been searching for a few weeks now and really havent gotten any useful info. i am want to get around 450=500 hp from an ls1. i plan on going through and freshen it up. everyone says heads cam and intake. but noone knows what kind...this will be going in a rear engine buggy...any info would be a great help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try going on ls1tech.com lots of great info on there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try going on ls1tech.com lots of great info on there.
ive been reading on there everynight. i understand some of it but when they start spouting off numbers left and right i have no idea what they mean sometimes. i think i want an 01 or 02 ls1 afr 205 heads different cam and fast intake... i went to afr's website and they have some crazy dyno numbers with this setup... any more help would be appreciated

·
Registered
145 Posts
ls1 makes crazy power stock! just freshen her up a bit and get rid of the plastic intake wtf was that all about anyways..... :shaking:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
you don't necessarily need heads. an ls6 manifold, port matching and a good cam will wake it up like no other. getting 450-500 will require a healthy cam and will put the HP high up in rpm range though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as far as the tuning would u just send your computer off somewhere. or get different software and tune it yourself on a dyno.

·
Hello Govna
2,878 Posts
been searching for a few weeks now and really havent gotten any useful info. i am want to get around 450=500 hp from an ls1. i plan on going through and freshen it up. everyone says heads cam and intake. but noone knows what kind...this will be going in a rear engine buggy...any info would be a great help

if you run an ls6 intake and heads, which are a dime a dozen and will support 450 to 500 hp, you'll save a bit of coin which you can apply to the motor. that's my thinking. get a nice set of equal length long tub headers. a cam for low/mid range (if you want some good torque down low) of which i'd get ahold of a quality cam company and talk with them. explain your motor mods and application. if it's going in a non smog rig, get rid of the emissions crap. pick up efi live scan/tuning tool and flash your own ecm. alot of vendors for evi live are offering a free race tune for duramax diesels (just bought efi live) when you buy the flashscan v2 from them. find the right one and i'm sure you could get the same for an ls1. the vendor i deal with is not on this board but was the first to design/sell cnc ls heads. the designer has since gotten into dmax tuning with efi live but he's full of knowledge regarding ls motors (and dmax's). his name is guy tripp of http://www.socaldiesel.com/. give him a call (tell him rustynuts sent you:grinpimp:). he's sharp with ls's and dmax's. as far as 450/500hp from an ls1, there's many ways to skin a cat. how big is your wallet is the biggest factor. shoot, leave it stock, drop your compression ratio, through a super charger on it and call it good. i would still get efi live too.:smokin:

David

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
as far as the tuning would u just send your computer off somewhere. or get different software and tune it yourself on a dyno.
What the fuck is it a race car? Hey my dyno tuned buggy makes 500 HP! WOW!

Dyno tunning is the best, but just look locally for a good tuner or someone with HPTuners.

You can put several dozen different heads and cams combs inwhich you get 400-500 hp with out forced indction or nitrious on a GEN III engine!

I would look at putting a Radix supercharger on it. It will have the lowend of thottle torque a buggy needs.

Actually, Your wasting your time here! On halfass Bullshit answers.

YOU NEED TO SPEND MORE TIME ON LS1TECH!!!!!!

Do some searching!!!!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
if you run an ls6 intake and heads, which are a dime a dozen and will support 450 to 500 hp, you'll save a bit of coin which you can apply to the motor. that's my thinking. get a nice set of equal length long tub headers. a cam for low/mid range (if you want some good torque down low) of which i'd get ahold of a quality cam company and talk with them. explain your motor mods and application. if it's going in a non smog rig, get rid of the emissions crap. pick up efi live scan/tuning tool and flash your own ecm. alot of vendors for evi live are offering a free race tune for duramax diesels (just bought efi live) when you buy the flashscan v2 from them. find the right one and i'm sure you could get the same for an ls1. the vendor i deal with is not on this board but was the first to design/sell cnc ls heads. the designer has since gotten into dmax tuning with efi live but he's full of knowledge regarding ls motors (and dmax's). his name is guy tripp of http://www.socaldiesel.com/. give him a call (tell him rustynuts sent you:grinpimp:). he's sharp with ls's and dmax's. as far as 450/500hp from an ls1, there's many ways to skin a cat. how big is your wallet is the biggest factor. shoot, leave it stock, drop your compression ratio, through a super charger on it and call it good. i would still get efi live too.:smokin:

David
Beat to the Punch! Lol... :laughing:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
how much hp and tq can a stock bottom end handle... i had planned on going through it and freshen it up. i want to spend as little as possible. but i want it to jump when i call upon it. and yes i plan on getting a low to mid range cam hopefully. i just know how hp and tq is needed where we wheel alot especially in the cooler months when it is all wet. like i said i want to stay as cheap as possible but dont mind to spend a little more on some good parts to make good reliable power. i would love to throw a turbo or supercharger on it i know there are alot out there these days but i dont really want anything like that. just seems like something else that could go wrong. thanks again guys for all the info.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
how much hp and tq can a stock bottom end handle... i had planned on going through it and freshen it up.
500hp easy stock! They have six bolt mains!

i want to spend as little as possible. but i want it to jump when i call upon it. and yes i plan on getting a low to mid range cam hopefully. i just know how hp and tq is needed where we wheel alot especially in the cooler months when it is all wet. like i said i want to stay as cheap as possible but dont mind to spend a little more on some good parts to make good reliable power. i would love to throw a turbo or supercharger on it i know there are alot out there these days but i dont really want anything like that. just seems like something else that could go wrong. thanks again guys for all the info.
WHATS CHEAP! How much you looking to spend?

Money will determine the HP you can get!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Get Will Handzel's book "How to build High Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8's". Lots of good info about the GenIII engines, and parts combinations for various horsepower levels(depending on your budget).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts