Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at LS motors, and I am wondering what people are doing for fuel pumps and regulators? Are you using stock or aftermarket components? How are you connecting to the rails?

I have been told that the ls in tank pump is internally regulated. Are people adapting these to fuel cells or using all external parts?

Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts
Not in a buggy, but I have an LQ4 in my YJ. I have custom 28 gal fuel cell that was made to accept a stock Chevy in-tank fuel pump. Works great with no issues ;)

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts
Also if you are using a crate motor, where did you get it?

Scoggin Dickey
GMPP
Turnkey

or are there others that I am not aware of?
The engine came out of a 2000 GMC, the comp, chip & harness are Turnkey items. I forgot to mention that I'm also using stock Chevy fuel lines.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
What the fawk are you doing now?

I'm planning on using an e2000 pump. I think Russell makes a super trick push on fitting to attach stainless braided line to the fuel rails.

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
7,719 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
42,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What the fawk are you doing now?
You know me, I love to plumb stuff. Trying to figure out what is needed to completely plumb a crate LS if you don't have the factory sender.

I'll be using an external pump (E2000 ford, Walbro 255 should work).
99+ corvette fuel filter (acts as a regulator as well).

Here's some info.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2842947&postcount=3

Interesting setup. Clean. Though I would rather use the push on fittings than the compression fittings.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
the e2000 will support the ls1 but not a bigger engine. i run a lq4 with jim's perf. harness and flash. it falls on it's face from 4500 on up. called jim he said the biggers motors need an e8248. i'm putting mine on tomorrow...i hope that does it

·
Registered
147 Posts
msd 2225,94.00 from summit w/braided lines & russel couplers on a lq9,it has a factory pres regulator built in fuel rail.harness & reflash from jims performance,started immediatly,runs perfect & pump no more noisy than other intanks ive seen in jeep cells

·
Registered
549 Posts
Interesting setup. Clean. Though I would rather use the push on fittings than the compression fittings.

Any other ideas?

FYI, the corvette fuel filter / regulator is designed for "push on" fittings. Russells makes adapters for the 5/16 and 3/8 sizes. They adapt to -6. The outlet of the filter / regulator is female, and requires you to purchase some "beaded" hard line, so essentially you'd have the "push on" style connector on that side as well. I hope this helps.

·
Rolling Mod
42,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
FYI, the corvette fuel filter / regulator is designed for "push on" fittings. Russells makes adapters for the 5/16 and 3/8 sizes. They adapt to -6. The outlet of the filter / regulator is female, and requires you to purchase some "beaded" hard line, so essentially you'd have the "push on" style connector on that side as well. I hope this helps.
Russell will be offering the push in connector to #6 this year, so that will be a mute point. Both 5/16" and 3/8".

Thanks to all for the ideas.

To sum up, the LQ9 has an integrated fuel pressure regulator, while the LS1 and LS2 do not. Does this sound correct?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Russell will be offering the push in connector to #6 this year, so that will be a mute point. Both 5/16" and 3/8".

Thanks to all for the ideas.

To sum up, the LQ9 has an integrated fuel pressure regulator, while the LS1 and LS2 do not. Does this sound correct?

Nope.

GM went to a "returnless" style setup for Vette's in ~'98 and across the board in the '04 model year. It's not really return-less, only that the regulator is moved off of the rail and back to the tank.

The Vette style Filter/Regulator (GF-822) is a fairly common LSx conversion setup and runs ~$40 (The Russel/Earl's adapters slip on the male ends and you run a Dorman 3/8" adapter for the inlet (P/N 800-155 It's a 12" double ended (double bead) male connector tube that's about $8. You cut off one end and connect it to the outlet from the fuel pump. This provides quick-connects for all three ports to the filter/regulator.)

Good luck.

PS,
I went external in-line pump, but if I had to do it again, I'd go in-tank. (Simpler and quieter.)

1 - 20 of 98 Posts