Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy told me about this site yesterday, since the search isnt working I figured I might as well say hey and ask the question. I have a 2000 Wrangler that I am installing a complete 5.3 LS1 motor and ecu with the 4L60E tranny and GM transfer case. Has anyone done the swap? I have been talking to Novak-adapt.com about motor mounts and a few other accessories to get me started. Pics would be nice if you have them or any helpful info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
TwoKTeeJay said:
I have a 2000 Wrangler that I am installing a complete 5.3 LS1 motor and ecu with the 4L60E tranny and GM transfer case. Has anyone done the swap? I have been talking to Novak-adapt.com about motor mounts and a few other accessories to get me started. Pics would be nice if you have them or any helpful info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chris
Well the more complete the package you get the better. I'm putting mine in a much older rig so I probably have a little more flexability than you do. The Novak motor mounts work great, they make a great bolt in Radiator also. Pay close attention to how you offset the engine from centerline as you may pay the price in exhaust clearance. I don't know what the stock Wrangler in-tank pump puts out but you'll need at least 45psi of fuel pressure to run this setup.
Lokar makes a nice floor shifter that will work with the 4l60e, you didn't say what model T-Case you got so I can't comment on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
LCAC_Man said:
Well the more complete the package you get the better. I'm putting mine in a much older rig so I probably have a little more flexability than you do. The Novak motor mounts work great, they make a great bolt in Radiator also. Pay close attention to how you offset the engine from centerline as you may pay the price in exhaust clearance. I don't know what the stock Wrangler in-tank pump puts out but you'll need at least 45psi of fuel pressure to run this setup.
Lokar makes a nice floor shifter that will work with the 4l60e, you didn't say what model T-Case you got so I can't comment on that.

I will be using there radiator as well, thanks for the pictures, also I plan on adding a larger capacity pump to support the motor. thanks again!

The T-case came with the motor, I would have to check the number on it.. but its from a 2000 Chevy fullsize.

Beat95YJ said:
It is still possible to search using google.
There's always one of you in every forum. thanks jackass!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
bigblackblur said:
I thought the LS1 was a 5.7L? maybe I'm just an idoit.

I guess I'm a idiot to :flipoff2: I thought it was a 5.7. They maybe change it for the fun of it :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If its a steel block then its a Vortec 5.3, but there was also the aluminum block vortec that came in some Envoy, Trailblazer, Avalanche, Tahoe, Sierra, and Rainier. The aluminum 5.3 Vortecs mainly came in the SUV's.
There is also the LS4 5.3 aluminum block that came in late model Monte SS, Impala SS, and Grandprix GXP. The LS4 is setup sideways in the cars so I dont know if you can still bolt a typical tranny to it without a special mount.

If he got the 4l60 with it then I would say its a Vortec motor. Im not sure what the difference between the Vortec and LS motors are besides the heads. The blocks are probably the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
bigblackblur said:
Google says we are right. So what is this magical 5.3L LS1 you are gonna use?

Ok so LS Series motor... jesus, you people are picky. it's an iron block 5.3 from a fullsize chevy. Exact same motor, bolt pattern, everything to a 5.7 Aluminum LS1. Vortec nowadays is just a name for the truck series motors, nothing more.

Everything on my motor

will fit on this

and this

If you have any suggestions for my build let me know.. thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
TwoKTeeJay said:
Ok so LS Series motor... jesus, you people are picky. it's an iron block 5.3 from a fullsize chevy. Exact same motor, bolt pattern, everything to a 5.7 Aluminum LS1. Vortec nowadays is just a name for the truck series motors, nothing more.

thanks
All LS motors are aluminum block. If its steel its the vortec.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS1 lots of info here and here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortec
LS heads, camshaft, and tuning are totally different than Vortec.

not picking on you, its just a common mistake made here all the time.
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
560 Posts
tntcherokee said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS1 lots of info here and here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortec

right. athough there is an alumium 5.3L that is not the LS4 I believe in the trailblazer style body, and but while we're being picky, IRON (not steel), and if you don't know the specific engine name most people say "LSX" engine, or gen 3....

and wikipedia is garbage. All that stuff should interchange. www.ls2.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyways, irregardless its a 5.3 out of a 2000 chevy, it is an LS motor.. but call it what you want. Doesn't anyone on here have this setup already or something similar?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tntcherokee said:

dude, i deal with these motors all the time, Vortec was a term used on even the 4.3 V6 motors describing air flow through the motor.. There are 5.3 aluminum motors and they are IDENTICAL to the iron block. Not picking on you, but there is no steel block, if we want to get technical.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
sorry im a dumbass and didnt relize some one already posted that

any way who makes harnesses for these motor and computers

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
ok me again

twokayjeepteejee guy a guy from this area ran on in his yj i will try and pick his brain for info but he had it mated to a th400 dana 300

·
Registered
560 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts