Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing for years that LS motors are cheap and plentiful but my hunt has not been so successful. I feel I need 400 hp to make my current project a fun driver and the LS2 seems to fit the bill but, cheap and plentiful they are not. I know turnkey or others would be ideal but 10k not in the budget for this and the eBay offerings are in the 5k range for pullouts.

I found a 62 chevy 4x4 that I want to build as a DD and tow rig for my light stuff and I just think the LS platform would be nice.

So where can I find a not so pristine pullout to build up or should I look at other LS options to build and add a few items to get above my 400hp mark?

·
Registered
763 Posts
6.0 ftw

paid 1500 bucks for mine with 62k miles out of a 05 truck with harness and ecm

truck motors are typically cheaper then ls1-ls3 cause they are little less desired for certain projects.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Paid $2700 for my LS2 w 30k out of a 05 Vette at a salvage yard. Call them all and be willing to travel to get it!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Also look at an LY6, I got 2 off of Ebay last year, brand new crate engines from intake to oil pan to flex plate, all that was needed was harness and ecm, starter and alternator. 2999 each with shipping, it was a Lexus dealership in Dallas that bought 40 or 50 of them. They were selling them on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The actual RPO code LS2 motors are not cheap or plentiful. They came in very few vehicles and are relatively scarce as compared to all the other engines within the same generation architecture. What most people refer to as LS engines are just any Gen III or IV engine because they share the same architecture but the RPO codes are not LS. There are tons of RPO codes for what people call LS engines. LQ4, LQ9, LY6, etc. Most of those are going to have iron blocks with either iron or aluminum heads and not as much power as an LS2 but will be way cheaper and more plentiful.

So long story short, if you MUST have a 6.0 LS2 all aluminum engine (like I did) be ready to pay and / or travel. If you can settle for less power and an iron block or are willing to build an iron block to get the same power as an LS2 look into the other RPO 6.0's like LQ9. An iron block with the same displacement, programming, and hardware as an LS2 will put out the same amount of power, be about 100lbs heavier, and the block will rust if not painted.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
what patooyee said is spot on. i paid 4000 for my 06' corvette ls2 with sub-20,000 miles and still ended up with about 8g's once installed and tuned to 450hp/450ft.lb. can't get a TRUE ls2 on a budget, but can build a iron 6.0 for MUCH less. good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
your not gonna see much performance gain by a LS2 over a LQ9 there all but the same motor same head design just coulpe less CCs gives the ls2 the CR nod. they have the same pistons. and the LQ4 is within 15hp (i dont care what GM rates these things at take a look at the real world dynos pretty much any LS motor over 5.7L will make 400 stock at the crank once tuned. so the money saved by gettin a LQ motor you can add cam or an LS6 intake by itself would even the feild, and make it all back its only an 80 lbs weight hit for the iron motor. i have 300 in my LQ4 complete ready to run.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
i dont care what GM rates these things at take a look at the real world dynos pretty much any LS motor over 5.7L will make 400 stock at the crank once tuned.
I'm going to have to throw up the BS flag on this one. I find it hard to believe that an internally stock LQ4 can make 400 HP. If it can, I really want to speak to your tuner!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
your not gonna see much performance gain by a LS2 over a LQ9 there all but the same motor same head design just coulpe less CCs gives the ls2 the CR nod. they have the same pistons. and the LQ4 is within 15hp (i dont care what GM rates these things at take a look at the real world dynos pretty much any LS motor over 5.7L will make 400 stock at the crank once tuned. so the money saved by gettin a LQ motor you can add cam or an LS6 intake by itself would even the feild, and make it all back its only an 80 lbs weight hit for the iron motor. i have 300 in my LQ4 complete ready to run.
LS2 heads flow more than LQ4 or 9 heads. They go for a premium in the racing circles for the guys wanting to upgrade their LQ4's and 9's and I have seen flow test reports on ls1tech.com of both showing significant gains for the 243 heads. And if an LQ4 and 9 put down the same power as an LS2, why would GM bother spending the extra money in the upgraded internals in an LS2? (Valves, springs, heads, etc.) Why wouldn't Corvette's all have an LQ4 in them and why would they downgrade the power ratings for vehicles that have LQ4's and 9's?

I think you're wrong.

Now if you're just exaggerating your claim that the performance gain from an LQ9 to LS2 is marginal, I'll agree with you there. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say that that extra 50 or so hp is some of the most expensive hp you can buy in the world of hp. In fact, if I could go back and do it over again I would probably have spent my money on a fire-breathing 600hp stroker iron-block 6.0 and still probably be ahead some money. But you live and learn ...

J. J.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
ok yeah for the flame happy yes i was just tryin to say for the money LS2s is not worth is UNLESS you wanna brag about stock rating HP and 70-80lbs will it make 20 more than lq9 MAYBE 40 hp more than lq4 yeah

http://www.smokemup.com/tech/ls1.php after .400 yes the 243s flow more valve is not open very long past 400 so yes couple hp from that but the big helper is the 65cc vs 72cc cambers. 317s have an LS6 runner design but no sodium valves

ok its not that they spend extra money on the ls2 for the vette and GTO as it is they save money on the LQ motor as its desgined for a TRUCK so the lower CR and backed off timing allow it to tow heavy loads plus there prolly not gonna throw an extra 80 lbs at a vette when they spend millions to keep it as light as they can. hell a zo6 has thinner windows to cut weight. they dont downgrade the power ratings for vehicles that have LQ4's and 9's, they tune them to not self implode pullin 17000lbs

i cannot for the life of me find the site but im almost 100% it was a nelson tuned LQ4 but i know it was 397 at the crank. i remember this cause years and years ago car craft got a dead stock LS1 with stock computer they dynoed and it made just over 400 like 403 or some shit and all they did was lean the tune out by adj the fuel pressure they didnt even add timing it was a stock PCM and after one pull the comp learned the lower FP and it went back to a rich WOT AFR. SSSSOOOOOOOOOO i take GM rated numbers and LOL at them

so do what you want OP but i went cheap and did a LQ4 if its not enough ill add a cam or whatever and see how that is....................... then patooyee if its still not enough ill take the 402 LQ4 based stroker i built for less than 6k that makes 580-600 outta my daily driver camaro swap it to the buggy and see how that feels. :flipoff2:

old dyno from 07 incase ya think im just web wheelin ya lol http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/695055-402-afr205-244-248-dyno-sheet.html

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I think we fundamentally agree so I don't really have anything smart to add. My only beef was when you said all the 6.0's put out the same power. But in the above post you agree that they do not. I'm glad we're on the same page now.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of cheap.

You ain't gonna find a ls2 for a $1000 but you should be able to pick one up
For $3500 to $4500 and for what they are I consider that cheap. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Find junkers, and stupid people. I found a junkyard close to me that had an '06 Trailblazer SS in it, with the LS2. Guy had no idea what motor it was. I paid $400 for it, I'm now rebuilding it before I drop it in the truck, a semi-aggressive cam and some upgraded internals. I got extremely lucky, but the deals are out there... I found mine on Craigslist, and it took me several months to finally get the guy to pull the motor out.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that clears up my confusion, I was thinking that the truck motors were a completely different platform from the LS. While all aluminum would be nice its really not necessary. If I can find a dirt cheap LQ4 I will just slap some pistons in it and a little cam and call it a day.

My other option would be a L92 and just run the crap outta it, thanks for setting me straight!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think that clears up my confusion, I was thinking that the truck motors were a completely different platform from the LS. While all aluminum would be nice its really not necessary. If I can find a dirt cheap LQ4 I will just slap some pistons in it and a little cam and call it a day.

My other option would be a L92 and just run the crap outta it, thanks for setting me straight!
get used LQ9 pistons there the same as LS2 that will get your LQ4 up to 10;1

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of cheap.

You ain't gonna find a ls2 for a $1000 but you should be able to pick one up
For $3500 to $4500 and for what they are I consider that cheap. :smokin:
that's exactly what both turnkey and pacific fab told me when i called them about the LS2 i found, both said ," at that price for <25,000 miles, get it now!" the reason i chose an LS2 over a truck 6.0 is rather than internally tweak a motor to get the numbers i want, k.i.s.s.- keep it stock and retain durablity.

·
Vendor
11,821 Posts
Look at the newer body style trucks, like 08 up, 6.0's and 6.2's with VVT. Then send me the harness/PCM and I'll fix you up very nicely. Just did one (LY6) with Rockwells and 44's. From a rolling start, he can roast them well into the top of second gear. :grinpimp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts