Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard an LT1 is not a good choice for a Jeep that will be doing some deep water crossings. Does anybody have any info about this? Or possible preventative measures? Other than a differant engine, for all the smart ass's. :grinpimp: Thanks.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
after you replace the first $400 optispark running an lt 1 may not seem like such a good idea i belive frankie's offroad had some kind of rear dist conversion for them though

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
i have heard that the reasons for some water failures is the duraspark ignition located near the water pump on the front of the engine that is prone to gettin splashed (might be completely wrong tho) anyone care to elaborate? if this is the case, a liberal application of silicone spray and dialectric grease should do the trick.

·
Registered
255 Posts
the stock optispark is located behind the water pump, and has a photo-optic sensor, and a metal dic the size of a half dollar, that has 180 slots cut in it, as you can imagine, a drop of water when dealing with precision optics taht small, acts like a lense, and screws it up. I ran an lt-1 for 3 ears all on the same distributor, you just need to get someone who knows what they are doing, to show you how to both seal and vent the distributor. Also, i think it was in either 95 or 96 that the distributor came facory sealed, what year engine are you looking for ( i wouldn't plan on being able to interchange the later model distributor) As for Frankie, I used to work for him, when we did the rear distributor conversion, and it is a cool option ( not available for the 93 intake manifold, b/c the fuel rails are different than the 94-97) it allows you to use the wiring harness from a tuned port, and use a small cap hei dist. only down side could be lead time, i know he outsources the machining and tig welding of your existing intake manifold, and that can some times take a while. Frankie's number is 256-413-8300 ( however long he tells you it will take, double it, and you shouldn't be disapointed, he he produces great quality, just not quickly)

·
Registered
421 Posts
however long he tells you it will take, double it, and you shouldn't be disapointed
maybe a little longer than double but worth the wait

1 - 6 of 6 Posts