Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one here know if the lt1 heads will bolt onto the 86 and up 1peice seal block? I can pick up a set pretty cheap plus it comes with the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
What year LT1...first or second generation? <<<<< You say it has the fuel system so I will assume fuel injection (TPI?). If so, then yes it will bolt up. I am thinking I left something out here.................

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry wasn't specific about the fuel injection. can you run a rear style distributor in it and not the front mount one? which water pump?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might have the facts wrong from the seller. He told me the top end came off of a lt1 powered caprice cop car. It uses the optispark up front that is driven off the waterpump? He has everything but the block something about it being busted. I've got a good 30 over one piece seal block I would like to put these heads and intake set up on if they will work and cool right.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I might have the facts wrong from the seller. He told me the top end came off of a lt1 powered caprice cop car. It uses the optispark up front that is driven off the waterpump? He has everything but the block something about it being busted. I've got a good 30 over one piece seal block I would like to put these heads and intake set up on if they will work and cool right.
You'll have to drill the intake for your distributor, figure out some sort of distibutorless ignition, or figure how to install an optispark. I wouldn't go that route though. Even the MSD opti's aren't as good as a tried and true HEI.

You would probably be best to get the whole engine and start measuring and figuring things out.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
does any one here know if the lt1 heads will bolt onto the 86 and up 1peice seal block? I can pick up a set pretty cheap plus it comes with the fuel system.
quiestion for you, will those heads work with a 87+ head bolt pattern? where the two center runner bolts are a different angle? like 74deg instead of 90 or what ever?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
LT1 heads are reverse cooled; if you bolt them on, you will have to deal with blocking off the extra coolant passages... at the least.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the heads will bolt to the block, got to drill and make mounting pad for distributor. Now the heads get cooling in the rear on a crossover first? Will the stock lt1 cam have a drive gear for the distributor? I thank you guys for the help.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
so the heads will bolt to the block, got to drill and make mounting pad for distributor. Now the heads get cooling in the rear on a crossover first? Will the stock lt1 cam have a drive gear for the distributor? I thank you guys for the help.

The heads will physically bolt to the block, but you will need to address the cooling passages, they don't line up. I'm not sure what is needed, but it is do-able, as race car guys machine standard SBC heads to fit an LT1 block.

Drive gear is on the cam just the same as any other SBC.

The LT1 Computer uses information from the optispark (distributor) to fire the injectors and spark plugs. IE: the factory LT1 fuel injection isn't going to work if you don't run an opti.

however, if you get the wiring harness and computer from a TPI car, you should be able to make it work with the LT1 intake and run a distributor in the rear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
http://www.delteq.com/

These guy's do a DIS system for LT1's. I would go that route if I had to start again. All the parts are from a Caddy. It keeps the opti just for the crank trigger.

I can't find the site for teh HEI conversion right now. Start cruising LT1 forums though.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
i have a friend who has a deltec on his race car. it's just as bad as the opti.

i haven't seen an HEI conversion for an LT1. please post up a link or something.

IMO - whatever route you go, if you're not eliminating the opti, there's no use in doing any of these other high dollar options. they all still use the optical sensor in the opti, which is the real problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It would be a more expensive way to do it. But you could install the MSD and it's way superior pickup. Use the Delteq to get the high voltage off the front of the engine. Which is the only problem I've found with the MSD.

Here's some talk on the HEI conversion. http://lt1tech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=004226
By the sounds of it, the distributor becomes the crank trigger.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
oh ok... they're just running an HEI, but still using the opti to feed the computer the high and low resolution signals.

bascially... they're doing the same thing as the delteq. they're just taking the high voltage out of the opti, but still using the optical side of it.

the original poster is still SOL with all of these, because he has a regular SBC shortblock, which can't run an opti.

·
Registered
454 Posts
oh ok... they're just running an HEI, but still using the opti to feed the computer the high and low resolution signals.

bascially... they're doing the same thing as the delteq. they're just taking the high voltage out of the opti, but still using the optical side of it.

the original poster is still SOL with all of these, because he has a regular SBC shortblock, which can't run an opti.
But if you use a TBI distributor it has it's own pickup inside. Could be worth trying.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
But if you use a TBI distributor it has it's own pickup inside. Could be worth trying.

Computer needs both a high and low res signal. the high resolution is 360 degrees. i forget what the low res is.

TBI dizzy will only send 1 signal. i'd bet it will match up to the low res.... but then you're still stuck without the high res signal.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
cop car = lt4

cop car = 9C1 Caprice

LT1 with iron heads, "upgraded" cooling package and high amp alternator, along with suspension and brake upgrades...

however... it still packs the 265hp iron head LT1

The LT4 came in corvettes and a few very rare camaro and firebirds, but hey... thanks for playing.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks again guys for the help and ideas. I think I will pick the parts up and put them on the shelf for a future project. I talked to the guy again this weekend. I can get everything except for the block. He's got the crank,rods&pistons,cam&lifters,valvetrain,heads,waterpump and distributor,plus heads and fuel system. thanks again

1 - 20 of 29 Posts