Votes: 9 19.1%
  • No its crap, bad for your motor.

Votes: 10 21.3%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, you probably seen this stuff at your local auto stores right?

and alongside these bottles there is the little 'demo' with the turning gears,remeber?

well Ive passed by this stuff for almost a year now, conteplating on wether I should get it or not... Well a few days ago I bought some. a litre of lucas oil stabalizer. I put this stuff in my 22RE wich has a bit over 250K miles. what I notice while putting this is was, that this stuff is REALY thick, and i mean really thick, few points short of bearing grease.:eek:. after puting in, Ive noticed that my oil pressure does not come up and down radically, it stays about in the middle of the guage all the time now.

My question is, what do you guys think about this? is it good? is it bad? waist of money? It seems like a good product to use in 4x4s race cars, or anything that hits the road.

:EDIT:
Ok now read this.... Please
READ THIS... (Important)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use it in my old leaky, rattly engine and noisy old d20 t/c , good
stuff.

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
I've never used it in an engine, but I've ran their axle stuff for a while. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, but I figured with all the low speed stuff we do, having something help oil stick to my gears/bearings in the axles & t-case would most likely have some kind of benifit.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Of all the additives, Lucas is the best. Most of it is just snake oil.

I have put the tranny and the P/S additive in some wacked out peices and it seemed to really help.

The reason I run it in a trail rig is the times where I get the vehicle at such an angle that the engine starts knocking.

I think it would help protect under such circumstances.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
After using it for about a year, 5 oil changes, I pulled the valve cover off my 22RE and found the top of the head covered about 5/8" deep in what looked like petrolium jelly. The cam lobes were making troughs thru it, and the oil passages were damn near filled in. No more for me in engine oil.

I've used it in diffs, it seems to mix fine, and didn't form any deposits in the housing.

later

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crawler#976 said:
After using it for about a year, 5 oil changes, I pulled the valve cover off my 22RE and found the top of the head covered about 5/8" deep in what looked like petrolium jelly. The cam lobes were making troughs thru it, and the oil passages were damn near filled in. No more for me in engine oil.

I've used it in diffs, it seems to mix fine, and didn't form any deposits in the housing.

later

see thats what Im also worried about, this has a higher chance of forming sludge.

·
Registered
26,624 Posts
Okay.:eek: Not.

Read the so-called test. Noticed that the tester was using some brand called Schaeffer's :confused:, then found another link that took me to a message board. Do a little surfing around and damn it all to hell. The old boy with that testing site is also a dealer for Schaeffer's. Real unbiased information there folks...............:D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see what you mean... what do you guys say about the the foaming part. I mean after the gears where run, the oil that had lucas in it looked like froth!

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I dunno. I've run it ina few things.. Most recently my Mazda M5odR2 trans in a Ranger that has a nuetral whine.. I can't tell the difference. It shifts a bit better, but that could probably just be from getting rid of the old fluid period. I used a half quart of lucas to 2 qts of atf.

Otherwise outside of oil pressure like was mentioned I have never actually noticed a difference :confused:

edit: i've heard the auto tranny treatment does do wonders although. I just used the oil stabilizer in my manual.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Droped a bottle of it in my SB chevy 350 that had some realy leaky valves. Before it would run ruff and stall every now and then at idle. Now it runs much smoother and doesn't stall. Less smoke and doesn't go thru spark plugs every month like before.

For an old tired engine that you are trying to get more life out of, I would recomend it. I would not put it in anything new, there realy is no need for it, I would just run a good synthetic.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Bubba Ray Boudreaux said:
Okay.:eek: Not.

Read the so-called test. Noticed that the tester was using some brand called Schaeffer's :confused:, then found another link that took me to a message board. Do a little surfing around and damn it all to hell. The old boy with that testing site is also a dealer for Schaeffer's. Real unbiased information there folks...............:D

wellI will tell you from many personal experiences that schaeffers is the best oil around...its not an additive either. We did some testing and it WAY out performed everything we could come up with including LucaS Oil, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Delo 400, HP Mercury Oil, etc...we simply did a bearing test that we would apply friction with a lever and Schaeffers was the only one we couldn;t stop the bearing from spinning...everything else would stop no problem...I used to be a Lucas Oil guy till I saw the test...now I run Schaeffers in everything I own...also they have an awesome program that when youchange your oil you send them a sample and they will tell you how much longer you could have gone...in one guys burban they told him he can go 12,000 miles and if the motor fails and you have record of your oil changes they will replace your motor...another guy was told to go 10,000 on his cummins and my wife's car can go 11,000:eek2:...and no I am not work with, from, or for schaeffers...I'm just a very satisfied customer...

·
Registered
257 Posts
The only expirience I have had with Lucas oil is for assembling Hydraulic Cylinders on Caterpillar tractors. This stuff is way sticky and it holds seals in place when inserting the cylinder head and body into the tube. It also gives it some lubrication to help ease it in..........

·
Registered
575 Posts
that bearing test sounds interesting. I would think the thick sticky luk-ass oil has its place, maybe in old dead motors or in axles and such but it will never see its way into one of my engines.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Here's a semi-related question (the hydraulic comment got me thinking)...

...how about using this Lucas stuff as assembly lube? I'll be building an engine just after the new year and wonder if this stuff might be decent for this.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I am also thinking of using it as gear lube on my lathe. You lube it everyday, there is no sump, just squirt oil on all gears, and a gearbox that has an oil drip system. would this stuff be too sticky and cause a mess?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts