Pirate 4x4 banner

lunch box locker staying engaged

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Lux 
#1 ·
Hey,

Ive had several jeeps and have used some lunchbox lockers before. I had a detroit ez, a power trax, and this last one was real similar off brand, but they had always worked.

I put a front locker in the d30 up front last spring, just installed this one in the d44 in the rear last month.

For some reason it has never ratcheted yet. I really cant see what could be different these are pretty much all exactly the same. I dont see a way it can be installed wrong. It has the dual springs holding the guide pins just like all the rest ive dealt with.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Maybe not enough weight? My Jeep has a Detroit in the rear and in two years I’ve had it unlock 2 times. Should have just bought a spool. Both times it u locked was doing a u turn in the street. Never on a corner and NEVER in the dirt lol I have decent weight, but if you don’t, maybe that’s why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Not enough clearance as specified in the installation book that came with the locker and they won't unlock. You should be able to get one side to unlock by wiggling the raised wheel back and forth if one wheel is on the ground and the trans is in neutral.

Last two I installed I had to make more clearance in the case. One was a Lockright, other was a Powertrax, both Dana 44s.

In order to get the gears to fit, I had to machine out the case. Obviously, not a cheap thing to do if you don't have a lot of machining experience and special tooling. Calling Richmond Gear's help line was no help other than finding out that the measurements of the parts in the kits were correct and that the applications were correct. ( I think they should make their lockers a bit thinner and supply shims so you can set the clearances).

The "Bubba" in me came out and I figured out how to get more clearance on the cheap, but still get a good result. I used the old side gear on the open carrier ('76 SJ case) with the Lockright and the new side gear in the Powertrax kit(being installed In a 2004 TJ Trac lock case) as the cutter tool and guide. I used 120 grit sand paper glued to the thrust surfaces of the side gears where they ride in the case and used the axle shaft to rotate the gear (thus grinding the case), to get the clearances needed. I put the side gear in the case with the paper glued to it with spray adhesive. Held the case between my feet while sitting in a chair, then I put the axle shaft in it from the opposite side with a vise-grip as a handle. I let the weight of the axle bear against it while I rotated the shaft fairly fast to get the grinding action. Took about 15-20 minutes per side of the carrier housing to get the clearances. Used about six "donuts" of sandpaper per case.

Mainly, sanding it this way took off raised burs in the cases that took up some of the clearances needed. The Traclok case had raised dimples from where the old clutch plates rubbed for the last 15 years. The sandpaper took those off and I was able to get the Powertrax to fit properly.

Hope this helps!

#11 ·
For some reason it has never ratcheted yet. I really cant see what could be different these are pretty much all exactly the same. I dont see a way it can be installed wrong. It has the dual springs holding the guide pins just like all the rest ive dealt with.

Any ideas?
Auto trans or manual?

I have one particular lockright in a D60. Would not unlock in an auto truck. Swapped whole diff into a 5spd truck where it works perfect.

I know its not a solution - just a nature of the beast thing. If it is auto, have you tried shifting into neutral to get it to slip/ratchet? Could be a shimming/spacing issue; extra-snug fitting tooth faces; maybe it needs some break-in time. :homer:

#19 ·
Ok so this finally gernaded driving on pavement and having the 13" wide tires chirping around every turn.

The four pins that have the springs broke. Doesnt look like any other damage besides a couple nics in spots that dont matter.

I tried to find the locker manufacturer but the website is closed/out of business.

I ordred some powertrax pins and springs.

But im wondering what is making this stay locked?? i can push it locked with a screw driver, then hold one side like rachet also.

Heres some pics, seems like it should work.....is it the crosspin or these little springs too tight?? Wait....not finding the add pictures option here.....

#29 ·
The spider shims? I dont think anything is in there, just the locker parts. Maybe i did miss those if the gear oil was holding them in. Will check that first, i think i have to remove the carrier and ring gear to get the cross pin out.....the d30 ones you dont have to...

#30 ·
Well, there wasnt any extra parts, no hidden shims, thought i could buy new pins and use less springs or something but these pin holes are wallowed out, so its toast. These guys must have went out of business, add shows on ebay yet but you cant buy one (says seller cant accept payments right now), and amazon says unavailable (got it on amazon)

Just ordered the spartan, will see what happens with that one.

#31 ·
Well, there wasnt any extra parts, no hidden shims, thought i could buy new pins and use less springs or something but these pin holes are wallowed out, so its toast. These guys must have went out of business, add shows on ebay yet but you cant buy one (says seller cant accept payments right now), and amazon says unavailable (got it on amazon)

Just ordered the spartan, will see what happens with that one.

Been running the Spartan for years now. Works great.

#32 · (Edited)
Do yourself a favor and get rid of that locker. Buy a better locker than a lunchbox. I just blew up a lock rite and it took out the carrier and the axle splines. Spend an extra $200 and get something better.

$250 for a spartan locker and you already blew one up on the street. So you’ve spent $450-500 on your Dana 44 lockers? A brand new Detroit locker is $500. A Yukon grizzly is about $700. So eventually you’ll have spent enough to have bought a better locker to start with.

#34 ·
Good for you!

IMHO, the lunchbox locker is the best bang-for-the-buck going. It has provided many folks like me with the ability to install it under the shade tree and yet make a giant difference in off-road ability.

Not bad for 300 bucks or so.

I love the Aussie I installed in my TJ years ago. Still going strong.

#35 ·
I ran Spartans in my 8.25 with 32s, and d30 before I blew up the d30 ring gear with 37s.

Ran them both for about a year until I upgraded. Sold both of them and now their running in my buddies xj.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.