Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for commets from folks that meet the following criteria:

- 1st gen 4Runner driver
- has full cage in truck
- uses truck for some DD duties
- is around 6'6" tall

Debating to take the easy way and buy AP's cage kit. . . or build my own after buying bender and saw. I'd like to know from those that have the AP cage. . . how's the head and shoulder room?

From looking at the pics on AP's site, it looks to me that the overhead rear bar is right where my head would be in my normal driving position. . . .

Any comments are appreciated. . . .
BD

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
I'm 6' and built my own. It has its own drawbacks. My novice skills found it hard to make things fit exactly as I wanted. + or - an inch and you get what you get is how mine turned out. I wish I had routed mine through the dash for more leg room. You will want to pad the side bars above the doors. I've bounced my head into them more than a few times. Also consider $200-250 in the cost of steel.

AP's seems to fit nicely. I would add a horizontal bar across the dash though. My passengers seem to appreciate its grab bar feature.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a Smittybuilt or Hobrecht cage and am 6'2". The truck is a daily driver for about 20k/year. I thought I'd hit the front legs all the time, as I'm more legs than torso. But fact is, I hit my head on the tube over the driver's door more than anything. Must be my technique for hopping up into the truck...
I would not worry about the front tubes, just make sure the sides hug as close to the door and roof and that the rear hoop tube is as far back as it can go. When wheeling, I hit that one once in a while too...
Now, if I'm spotting and one of my daughters are driving, I whack my head on that same side tube over the door ALL the time. The steering wheel is a good stabilizer for your body when bouncing around... Pad them well...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, I know how that goes. :D In my CJ, I used 1.75" tube and raised it a couple inches above my head. . dang hard top won't fit, but I won't have to worry about getting my neck crushed when I roll.

I agree with the comments about precision measurements and allowing for more room in the back and sides. Sometimes being large has its drawbacks.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I only regret it once in a while...
You hardly ever hear, "Oh, I wish I were 4'10"!"
Like we somehow chose it or something! :)
Keep your head high, but just don't hit it on something!

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Finally got my camera to cooperate.
I ran a bar across the dash for additional side strength. As stated it is a perfect grab handle. You'll notice my vertical bars did not hug the dash as closely as I had intended. Now I wish I had run them through the dash as my buddy with the bender had suggested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My rear hoop is behind the separation for the removable top, and my side bars hug the dash real well (Rock me built). I bash my head occasionally when getting in and in bouncy situations on the side bar, so it's padded.

One note, using the roll bar for grab handles is not a good habit. Regular grab handles should be installed. If your hold the roll bar and you roll, the body will most likely crush your hand between it and the cage.

·
Registered
726 Posts
criscfer said:
I ran a bar across the dash for additional side strength. As stated it is a perfect grab handle. You'll notice my vertical bars did not hug the dash as closely as I had intended. Now I wish I had run them through the dash as my buddy with the bender had suggested.

ON A SIDE NOTE:
I have the same looking console too,

Can you put a regular sterio in there too ?

and if so can you also slide the passenger seat back also like stock,

cause mi-tuffy Console is the 6"wide one and then goes wider too for the deck.

security area.

Is yours all one width ?

or wide and skinny like mine ?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
cage and a 4Runner

I have the All Pro cage. If I had it to do over again...(anybody ever heard that before?), I would have made the front downposts closer to the dash, and the rear main posts a couple of inches further back. All Pros cage does allow that...Just take your time, measure once, drink a beer, measure again, drink another beer, etc....measure again, and then let someone sober cut the damn thing! Then try and tie it in to the frame...but it will vibrate like hell if you do that. You could always mount it to the frame with a type of shock mount. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Re: cage and a 4Runner

4RUNNERJADE said:
can you also slide the passenger seat back also like stock,
Is yours all one width ?
My console is the wide one, but by shaving the plastic off of the inside of the seat it would work like stock.
I have since installed some Mitsubishi seats, and they fit tighter to the cage. (Say it with me. "If I had it to do over again"... Get good seats before ya make your cage)

bentyota said:
If I had it to do over again...(anybody ever heard that before?), I would have made the rear main posts a couple of inches further back. Then try and tie it in to the frame...
I almost moved mine too far back, and at the last minute realized the rear seat needs to flip forward. So my hoop is bent at the floor to accomodate that. Some more good advice I didn't follow was to tack weld everything and drive your truck a few days to make sure it is exactly what you want. You may realize door handles, sun visors, sun roof, etc. don't quite work.:eek:
I chose not to mount mine to the frame, but with doublers to the floor. Your frame and body flex somewhat independant, so when mounting to the frame you need to leave more clearance between things like window glass. I wanted my cage to move with the body, and run as close to interior parts as possible. I am only expecting a slow rollover WHEN it happens.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
criscfer said:
Man, I love your dual battery setup.

:flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
BruthDoobie said:
Looking for commets from folks that meet the following criteria:

- 1st gen 4Runner driver
- has full cage in truck
- uses truck for some DD duties
- is around 6'6" tall

Debating to take the easy way and buy AP's cage kit. . . or build my own after buying bender and saw. I'd like to know from those that have the AP cage. . . how's the head and shoulder room?

From looking at the pics on AP's site, it looks to me that the overhead rear bar is right where my head would be in my normal driving position. . . .

Any comments are appreciated. . . .
BD
I'm 6'4 and mostly torso, I wouldn't put an internal cage in my 4R. If you really need the protection go exo, it's really the only option to keep a BIG person comfy in a DD. IMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts