Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the site for information on sas on 72-80 Luv trucks with no success. I have found a good deal on a 1980 that I would like to change my axles etc from my K5. I want to build a trail vehicle to run at Tellico and other southeastern trails. I have a LT-1, built 700r4, D60 front and 14Bolt rear that I would like to use. Just purchased Pro-tools bender for Cage and bumpers and Can't wait to start on light weight rig. The K5 works well, but, the weight and width is preventing me from making certain obstacles. I also thought about doing an S-10, but, thought about trying something different. If anyone has any pics or information on converting a Luv please help me.

Thanks,
Jess

·
Registered
809 Posts
Basically same as an early toyota. You should be able to mount leaf spring hangars, probably on a crossmember to move them forward, and make some shackle mounts under the frame. The front wheel wells on these trucks can't be cut out too much before you run into the firewall, so your best bet is to slide the axle forward when you build your mounts. You'll also want to mount a saginaw-type steering box on it since most of these were manual, but that's not too difficult either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have thought about moving the axle foward and using a full hydraulic steering system, just need to figure out the pump issues since the Camaro had rack and pinion steering. I would like to get the WBase in the 106inch range, may have to link the rear. Thanks...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I saw your post over at CK5. You might want to think about putting the body on a Blazer or Sub frame. As far as the full hydro, you probably want an aftermarket pump anyway, but look at Caprice LT1 pumps. I think they mount similar, or you could pick up a whole bracket system and sell yours (or look at the Vette setup- gets the A/C pulley out of the frame). The Caprice uses recirculating ball steering, and my 140,000 mile Caprice LT1 pump works well in my Blazer with WTO hydro assist (so far).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my uncle has a complete caprice LT1 out of a police car, maybe we can just swap engines. How is the LT1 as far as power in your K5. I may just have to deal with the Weight and put the 52's on front of my K5 and change springs on the rear. My axles that I am going to use are from a cucv with 4.56. If I decide to just upgrade the K5 from 37 to 42's will i be okay with the 700, 241c, 4.56's as far as crawl ratio. Man, I have such a soft spot for K5's and when I start thinking of just revamping what I have it excites me. I am just tired of beating the crap out of the tub. Hmmm...

·
Registered
330 Posts
My LT1 is a stock (for now) 140,000 mile engine. I have Thorley Tri Y's, 3" Summit Turbos and PCMForLess tuning (that I did with my laptop) and the engine runs great. I am very happy with it, but plan on a mild cam, rockers and springs soon to boost it up a little. I have the 4L60E, and ORD Doubler, so gearing isn't a problem. I have an S10 Blazer on a K5 Frame. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
I am going to have to suggest not using a too flexy and crack prone fullsize chevy frame. Make you own. When you do a body swap, you have to make new body mounts and you are already going to be making custom hangers for everything, so do what I did on my S-10, use 2x4 box tube and be done with it. Then it is any width that you want it to be for links, exhaust/rad line clearance, etc.
By the way, Luvs are cool as hell, I am jealous that you found one you want to do. I did an S-10 because it was free and they are a pretty attractive truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts