Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any knowledge/experience with the Maxi-Drive PTO Unit?

I've been considering it as an interesting/outrageous solution to onboard air. Of course, I'm sure it is $$$.

·
Registered
217 Posts
MD PTO

Unit was about $900.00 AU 1999.
Regards
Michael.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How a PTO unit can cost $900 AUD and two t-case gears $2000 USD is beyond me...but at a price like that it may actually be worth considering.

·
Registered
217 Posts
MD PTo

Maxi L/Range gears aprox 15-1800 AU.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow - the prices sure shoot up when you go through an international distributor!

Thanks for the price info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought mine through GBR for $ 599.00 and it included a Cross 40 series hydraulic pump.

How a PTO unit can cost $900 AUD and two t-case gears $2000 USD is beyond me...but at a price like that it may actually be worth considering.
The PTO fits on the end of the t-case and does not have the same issues that a set of t-case gears does. PTO is a part time unit. And yes it is worth considering.:p

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious - any idea about air compressor options?

How does it alter driveline angles? It looks like it adds a few inches.

Any pictures of it actually installed? I'd be very curious to see that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
maxi pto

The Maxidrive pto in my Rangie is running a Thomas pto winch and works great.

There are only a few clearance issues to work out depending on you aplication.

With mine the pto actuvation lever kept hitting the floor and it difficult to refit the transfercase with a pto bolted to it as there is only around 1/2" clearance from it to the lower edge of the rear floor.

If you only want onboard air why don't you look into reworking a aircon compressor the rotory style will supply 100 psi easily and combined with a small storage tank will easily run a Rattle run or air ratchet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm investigating all possible options at the moment - this one seems somewhat novel and won't crowd up the engine bay.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Dont know how I missed this one!

Anyways, I've a M-D unit + Cross hydraulic pump for sale. Sounds like same as what Busto has.

Offers?

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
merv said:
Dont know how I missed this one!

Anyways, I've a M-D unit + Cross hydraulic pump for sale. Sounds like same as what Busto has.

Offers?
Merv:
What did you end up doing for hydraulic power to your winch? I vaguely remember a discussion on it earlier in the spring.

Or, did you abandon this to focus on the Tomcat (yes, I'm envious!).:flipoff2:

Peace,
Paul

·
Registered
986 Posts
What pump?

Merv, what capacity pump is it? I'm looking for the biggest Cross version.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
TxD90 said:
Anybody have any knowledge/experience with the Maxi-Drive PTO Unit?

I've been considering it as an interesting/outrageous solution to onboard air. Of course, I'm sure it is $$$.
Strangely enough, I have seen someone do this. They didn't have room under the bonnet (4.1l FORD 6 (AUS market)), so installed a pto off the back of the T-case to run a modified AC compressor for onboard air. Worked well. had a truck air tank mounted on one of the chassis rails also.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Re: What pump?

wilsby said:
Merv, what capacity pump is it? I'm looking for the biggest Cross version.
I'ts not the biggest. It's the 1 cubic inch pump. They range from .5 cubic inch up to 1.8.

The 1 inch gives 16.4 CC / Rev.

And someone else has "started a conversion" about buying both so I have to offer him first cut at it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
PTSchram said:

Merv:
What did you end up doing for hydraulic power to your winch? I vaguely remember a discussion on it earlier in the spring.

Or, did you abandon this to focus on the Tomcat (yes, I'm envious!).:flipoff2:

Peace,
Paul
Not abandoned. I'm changing to engine V belt driven, using the twin Vbelt idea. I'm going with a 3.9 / auto setup in the tomcat so the engine driven option is probably better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts