Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, hears my dilemma. I live in Anchorage were we usually deal with ice and snow conditions for a least 5-6 month out of the year. From what I've been told is that M/T tires and icy conditions don't mix to well because of a lack of sipping. Anybody have any suggestions for me? I want a descend mud terrain w/ sipping and/or can be studded. I know of the TrXus and Procomp's, any others? Or how about getting some BFG's or Goodyear’s, for example, and have them sipped? I've heard two stories about aftermarket sipping. On one hand people say they prolong tire life and on the other people say they wear out faster, which is true?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I thought it was the all-terrains that sucked on ice. I have a set of mud terrain copies on my Zuk - they are ok. Siping seems ok too, but can chunk off bits on rough stuff. Really, you drive carefull and you are ok. My friend got some of those ice tires, with massize sipeing, that are supposed to be as good as studs - I am gonna' get a set next year. I think they are better than studded tires, even on wet ice.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
The truxus MT's are marketed as the most heavily siped MT on the market.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Just go BFG AT KO's and you'll be just fine, if you want go studded to, or hell go with mattrax :flipoff2:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SMART ASS said:
Just go BFG AT KO's and you'll be just fine, if you want go studded to, or hell go with mattrax :flipoff2:
My wife has the BFG AT's on her 4Runner. They work great on ice, but not so good in the Alaskan mud.

The questions are meant for my soon to purchase cruiser.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SMART ASS said:
then you need studded mt's

:rolleyes:

or mattraxx
Do you mean mattracks ? If so, those things cost is little less then my 4Runner new!

How about some specific brands on MT's that can be studded? Besides Procomps (I hear they are crap).

BTW, your name fits you well!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
HNRYS69 said:
I have never had a problem with my MTRs on ice at all. They hooked up alot better than the BFG mudders I had..
Never ran bfg's, but the mt/r's work fantastic on ice here. I've only "crab-walked" once and that was on a trail with 8" of the stuff.

j

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've run BFG MT's in snow and ice and they werent very good on hard pack, or icy roads.

In fresh snow they did OK.

BFG AT's do well all around in winter around these parts.

I run 38" TSLs right now and they are terrible on hard snow and ice...but dig gight down though fresh stuff until they find traction.

Siping/grooving TSLs or MT's does help, but they are MTs...not all terrains...so you just have to deal with it.

MJ

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Overlord said:
Ok, hears my dilemma. I live in Anchorage were we usually deal with ice and snow conditions for a least 5-6 month out of the year. From what I've been told is that M/T tires and icy conditions don't mix to well because of a lack of sipping. Anybody have any suggestions for me? I want a descend mud terrain w/ sipping and/or can be studded. I know of the TrXus and Procomp's, any others? Or how about getting some BFG's or Goodyear’s, for example, and have them sipped? I've heard two stories about aftermarket sipping. On one hand people say they prolong tire life and on the other people say they wear out faster, which is true?

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 sets of MT's(2 BFG's and 1 MTR) that have been sipped(by Discount tire), I will sippe all my MT"s from now on, it REALLY makes a difference IMOP, on wet, snowy or icy roads. Can't comment on wear as the most I have on any of them is 10,000 miles but they appear to be wearing the same as all all my previous MT's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the bfg mt's are good in the snow and better if sipped, mine are 35's and siped and grooved, and they hold up well and have not chunked out too bad, I also have a set of 37' mtr's and they are by far the best tire I have seen in the deep snow, meaning 4-5' they will float on 2-3 feet and dig thru the rest, I had a set of 35' swamper sx's brand new siped and grooved and I would have done better with a set of ski's on the jeep, all they would do was dig to the bottom or until high centered, I say bfg or mtr, the mtr will not give you as many miles but will out perform the bfg all around...

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
General MTs are studdable.
Coopers also I think.
Ground Hawgs also.

Just look in the ads for the tires that have the little tiny holes for studs.

Siping will definately help a LOT. The best combo IMHO is to get a studdable MT, then sipe it like mad.

Skinny works better than wide.

I have studded Nokian Hakkapalittas on my 4Rrunner right now. Great on icy roads, you can go stupid-fast into icy corners, but they suck off-road.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I have had good luck with these: Dunlop Radial Rover R/T

and you can put studs in them. Only problem is the limited sizes available.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maine Jeepah said:
I've run BFG MT's in snow and ice and they werent very good on hard pack, or icy roads.

In fresh snow they did OK.

BFG AT's do well all around in winter around these parts.

I run 38" TSLs right now and they are terrible on hard snow and ice...but dig gight down though fresh stuff until they find traction.

Siping/grooving TSLs or MT's does help, but they are MTs...not all terrains...so you just have to deal with it.

MJ
What version of the TSLs do you run? Boggers, radials, etc.?

I do like the BFG AT's on the 4Runner, but I want a MT for my Cruiser. This vehicle will be a daily driver, so that's why I'm asking about MT's and ice. I really don't want to by 2 or 3 sets of tires (winter, MT, and AT).

What do you guys think of the TrXus or Procomp? Are there any other MT's that are factory sipped?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Eskimo said:
The truxus MT's are marketed as the most heavily siped MT on the market.
My Nelli's have way more sipes then the Truxus do. I havn't had any problems with mine in ice or hard snow. They have been working so well that I have been using 2wd all most all of the time this winter. They gripped better in 2wd then my roomie's front wheel drive car does.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weasel said:

My Nelli's have way more sipes then the Truxus do. I havn't had any problems with mine in ice or hard snow. They have been working so well that I have been using 2wd all most all of the time this winter. They gripped better in 2wd then my roomie's front wheel drive car does.
Are they ATs or MTs? Does Nelli have a web site?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts