Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Same here man!

Thanks for the compliment. I am ready to get it done.

I look at your thread closely and enjoy watching the changes you make.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Yep, that was pretty much it, in addition to having to balance the rest of the powertrain and drivetrain to match the 6.0 hp and tq. I figured the 4.3 would be plenty for a light jeep with 1/2 ton axles. I want to be able to unleash all of it without having too much fear of breaking.

I still have the 6.0 though, so it'll get used on something, some day. Haha.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Man, me too. I think it'll be around 3,500 ready to go. We'll see.

I welded for a couple of hours tonight on the cage, and tomorrow I should finish it up with mounting the seats and harnesses.

I also got a speedometer cable for a CJ7 that of course fits my D300, but I didn't know for sure if it would work with the old M38A1 speedo. For future reference, it does work fine. The cable was around 10 bucks at Autozone.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Another major step done. :)
That looking impressive. Not much Jeep left :D
Looking good!
Thanks guys. Had a productive day today. Had a couple of friends over tonight to help out, so we got the body back on and a couple of little things buttoned up.

I realize this thread isn't chock full of tech, but I just use what I've learned here and from my dad to build my vehicles. I know and like simple techniques that are low tech and kind of farm boy.

Pics in a few minutes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
did i miss the pics for the t case mount and crossmember? i see where there is tube running across but missed the details on it. and what are the frame dimensions? i need to start getting ideas on paper before i collect materials and a new welder.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
The last couple of months I quit taking pics as I was working on it. I will get under it and take some pics soon and continue updating with a few long posts to show how it got finished.

I built my frame using the dimensions from the JP Magazine Project Ground Up. In part I, there's a nice sheet with all the dimensions laid out.

Tomorrow is a big day: it's going 'wheeling for the first time!!!

I hope my friends will take some video and pics while we're riding, so I can keep adding to the thread. I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
What exhaust did you use? It sounds way quieter than my 4.3, and I would like for mine to be quieter. I have small dual turbo mufflers currently, and I can extend the pipe another 2 feet to the rear. Your build looks great!

·
Registered
94 Posts
did i miss the pics for the t case mount and crossmember? i see where there is tube running across but missed the details on it. and what are the frame dimensions? i need to start getting ideas on paper before i collect materials and a new welder.
so I see. I have that one in hand already. was just curious what you did. def get some more pics up, the tcase cross member design is where imI'm stumbling. go tube? got rectangle, go full skid...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
so I see. I have that one in hand already. was just curious what you did. def get some more pics up, the tcase cross member design is where imI'm stumbling. go tube? got rectangle, go full skid...
The only dimension I changed was the front length. IIRC I extended the front 4 or 6 inches to stretch it out. The final wheelbase is around 94".

Tube and then skidplate under that. I wasn't able to tuck everything as high as possible to get a skid level with the bottom of the frame because the Novak SM420-D300 adapter is so short you can't clock it high enough. The t-case shifter tower would hit the transmission before the bottom of the case was level with the bottom of the transmission.

I like having the skid and crossmember separate for all my builds just for easier maintenance.

The 4.3 Vortec is also fairly tall because the throttle body still mounts on top of the intake. A 5.3 or 6.0 where the TB intake is pointing toward the radiator would allow for the engine to be moved up a couple of inches higher to get the belly completely flat and level with the frame.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts