Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a macerating toilet in the basement for occasional use. Most of the instructions on various units say that it can use 3/4 to 1" pipe.
Normally I'd just go for the larger pipe, however I've seen a couple reports where the installer used too big of a pipe and that caused issues. Of course the actual size of the wrong pipe isn't mentioned...

The question is, does 3/4" or 1" matter, if it does, which size is better?

Travis

·
Registered
760 Posts
Too big of pipe will cause the unit to short cycle, basically the volume of the pipe is too large and you'll end up with the shit not making it to the main stack. Most of the ones I've seen want 3/4" pipe. I'm guessing the guys that had problems used 1-1/2" or 2" pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I use one on my motorhome that will empty a 3 week tank to the clean out at my house through a 50ft, 3/4" garden hose without issue.........unless someone uses one of those wippy things rather than TP. Those are cloth and get bound in the impeller. No fucking fun taking that apart.

If you do, BAN the wipes from the house. TP only

·
Non-Lemming
78,529 Posts
The only one I have ever had experience with was in an RV
Same here. Our current RV has one and we refer to it as "the turd muncher". :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I have had some interesting first hand experience with one. Make sure you can access the unit for servicing. That goes for installing unions at key locations to make things easier on you. Seriously consider installing a 1" ball valve on the outlet side of the unit and above a union. It will keep the spillage down to a minimum if you ever have to pull the unit. Don't use expensive "fufu" toilet paper.

And yes to 3/4" PVC for the outlet.

Friend of mine had one in her finished basement i/2 bath. Fucking worked like a charm up until it suffered a busted impeller. She called several plumbers to fix it. Nobody was brave enough to crack it open; just wanted to replace it.
Yeppers; she fixed that fucker for under $50 bucks.:smokin:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use one on my motorhome that will empty a 3 week tank to the clean out at my house through a 50ft, 3/4" garden hose without issue.........unless someone uses one of those wippy things rather than TP. Those are cloth and get bound in the impeller. No fucking fun taking that apart.

If you do, BAN the wipes from the house. TP only
Same here. Our current RV has one and we refer to it as "the turd muncher". :flipoff2:
Not really what I'm looking for right now, but I do have a TT that I may need to use at home for a bit. Are the macerators you have in your RVs on the toilets, or are they the separate pumps that hook to the drain?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had some interesting first hand experience with one. Make sure you can access the unit for servicing. That goes for installing unions at key locations to make things easier on you. Seriously consider installing a 1" ball valve on the outlet side of the unit and above a union. It will keep the spillage down to a minimum if you ever have to pull the unit. Don't use expensive "fufu" toilet paper.

And yes to 3/4" PVC for the outlet.

Friend of mine had one in her finished basement i/2 bath. Fucking worked like a charm up until it suffered a busted impeller. She called several plumbers to fix it. Nobody was brave enough to crack it open; just wanted to replace it.
Yeppers; she fixed that fucker for under $50 bucks.:smokin:
We use cheap TP and NO wipes already. Those things can clog up a 12" line in no time and I dont want to be the one un-clogging stuff soooo I ban them from my house.

1" valve for flow purposes? I'm not quite following the "above a union"....

This will all be accessible when I'm done....function over form!!

Travis

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Not really what I'm looking for right now, but I do have a TT that I may need to use at home for a bit. Are the macerators you have in your RVs on the toilets, or are they the separate pumps that hook to the drain?
Mine is seperate unit. I set it on the ground and run a waste hose from the dump valve to it, and then the garden hose to the cleanout at my house.

I have the Flojet

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is seperate unit. I set it on the ground and run a waste hose from the dump valve to it, and then the garden hose to the cleanout at my house.

I have the Flojet
Do you sanitize it before storing or just run a bunch of water through it and put it in a box?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
We use cheap TP and NO wipes already. Those things can clog up a 12" line in no time and I dont want to be the one un-clogging stuff soooo I ban them from my house.

1" valve for flow purposes? I'm not quite following the "above a union"....

This will all be accessible when I'm done....function over form!!

Travis
If the macerating unit fails; you have a standing 6' column of sewage above it just waiting to soak you down. The ball valve is handy to choke that off so it doesn't spew all over the place. 1" valve on a 3/4" inch pipe so it doesn't restrict flow.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
scotts tissue only. valved for vacuum or hose flow.

in a basement i suggest not to do it unless you are positive no tots with hotwheel flushing genes or females will ever go near it.... its hell. btdt.

females can not be trusted. ever.... with a basement mounted turd muncher toilet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts