Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need to make a part out of 1.75" diameter steel.

going to be turning on the lath. need to center drill a 7/16 hole, bore a recess for the bolt head, then drill and tap some 10-32 holes around this center.

I will need to weld a piece of steel onto this after.
it doesn't need to be hardened or anything like that. just machineable. Will bead blast, park when done.

does it matter if I use 8620, 4130, 1018, or...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Only reason to use something besides 1018 is that you need a particular property that it lacks, hardness, flexibility, etc.

If you can, pre-heat the machined part to 500ish before welding, it will give you better penetration and be less prone to cracking. That is, unless both pars are extremely thick and you're just going to turn the welder up to 11 and blast away. Either way let it cool slowly, burring it in dray sand works great.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
8620 is typically a gear type steel. Higher carbon and heat treatable. Way overkill. The 4130 would no be a good choice due to the welding portion. 1018 will be fine, only real downfall is difficulty obtaining a good finish, and hitting a dimension.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks.
Dims are not crittical. Hell +/- .05 will be more then good enough.
Bead blast finish and then end up getting duracoated.

Thanks

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is it. Pretty simple.
This is the side view.

1.75 dia steel.
2.5" long
Bore completely through 7/16". This is for a 1" long 7/16 course thread bolt
Do approx a 3/4" dia recessed bored. Basically just large enough so a socket can fit over the bolt.
Outside dia on the left hand side is reduced to about 1.6"
After all the turning is done, the two red lines represent cuts. basically angle the back face, and then the bottom.
Blue piece is 3/8" thick and welded to the bottom.
The piece on the back is .25" disc (actually an oval) and retained to the machined round with a number of 10-32s.
It is also drilled and tapped for four 10-32s, in a square, for an item that will be attached to this.

Anyone able to guess what this is?
:D

Attachments

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Enfield, viewed from the other side. But hopefully the mind can picture it.

The blue part that gets welded on, for an AR/AK grip.
Will use an ACE folder for the actual stock

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts