Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing the efi swap and it runs but when i rev it the maf sen. flapper thing will slam shut really hard, any one know why?

·
Registered
535 Posts
uh.. did you put it on backwards??

the flap should be pushed open by airflow. there is no reason why it should slam shut when you rev it. it might slam shut when you let off the gas pedal.

unless it's stalling out when you rev, and then after it stalls, then it closes shut. if thats the case, there are a few posibilities.

does it rev up ok? does it idle ok?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
it doesnt idle that great it is inconsistant not extremely high just varies a lot i goes vroom vroom vroom vroom vroom instead of a constant vroooooooooom

and how could i put it on backwards?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
penguinofdoom said:
unless it's stalling out when you rev, and then after it stalls, then it closes shut. if thats the case, there are a few posibilities.
QUOTE]

can you list the possibilities?

·
Registered
535 Posts
most likely something is messed up in the wiring.

could be that you aren't getting enough fuel
could be bad wiring to the AFM or to the ecu.
could have a leak in the intake somewhere
could be the gnomes shuting the flap on you, just to piss you off..

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
OK Mr I'm in a Fawking Hurry and Need Everyone to Drop What Their Doing to Help Me.

does it die when you actually hit the gas and get the RPMs up, or does it die when it drops back down to idle??? If the latter, then there are dozens of things that might be wrong. If the former, then does the flapper open and close smoothly and with no effort by hand? Is the wiring to the AFM intact? Do you have spark and gas at higher RPMs???

And, Toy's have an AFM, not a MAF.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pazuzu said:
OK Mr I'm in a Fawking Hurry and Need Everyone to Drop What Their Doing to Help Me.

does it die when you actually hit the gas and get the RPMs up, or does it die when it drops back down to idle??? If the latter, then there are dozens of things that might be wrong. If the former, then does the flapper open and close smoothly and with no effort by hand? Is the wiring to the AFM intact? Do you have spark and gas at higher RPMs???

And, Toy's have an AFM, not a MAF.
alright i thought it was more important than some guy whos key broke or his front sprins are out flexing his rears :shaking: and i was planning on going wheeling tommarow so i wanted to get it fixed. it does it if i hit the gas quickly not if i slowly ease it on. two of the wires on the far side of the afm arent there(cutt off)so 5 of the 7 are there, almost all vaccume lines are capped and i have spark and gas at higher rpms.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
could i be a tooth off on the dist, or would it not run if that was the case? btw my timings at about 8 but like i said the idle fluctuates so its hard to see exactly what its at

·
Registered
535 Posts
1) why are the wires cut? and which ones are cut? did you just decide to save weight and start cuting wires randomly? is there a specific reason why you cut those 2 wires?

2) does it run and rev up fine if you gently roll the throttle in? doesn't stall, die, or anything? if it does ok, then look at your TPS and wiring for that.

3) if your distributor is off, then you will notice your timing will be way off also.

have you driven it yet? how does it drive?

you need to give more information when you post a question. if you just say "my shit doesn't work!" that doesn't help. the more information you give us, the more likely we are to help.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when i unplugged the tps nothing changed it was the same symptoms, does this mean the tps is bad?

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
Do you even have an egine in there? :rolleyes:

Tell ya what. Go get all of the needed sensors, vacuum lines, wiring for the AFM, computer, all of that stuff, install it all, do the timing and set the TPS and idle speed, check for codes, pull the EFI fuse for 30 minutes, reinstall, and try to start it.

If it's still doing it them, come back and ask for help. You're engine is a basket case and you are not effectively telling us what you have done, what you have diagnosed, what you have not done, and what other symptoms there are (for example, are you getting an error code???)

Maybe someone in Gen4x4 will ignore your crossposting and help you there.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the timing is just about right on and plugs and plug wires are fine, its running really lean (11.4 :1) can i adjust this at the afm, how can i check to see if the afm is bad, also my fuel press is 40 right out of the pump (e2000 pump) (is that fuel press fine?)

·
Registered
535 Posts
11.4:1 is rich, not lean

14.7:1 is stoich.

anything above that (numerically higher) is lean
anything below that (numerically lower) is rich.

it sounds like you have a host of problems with this thing. if it's running that rich, you should be seeind lots of black smoke coming out the exhaust.

yes, you can adjust how rich/lean it runs at the afm, but you dont need to. there is something wrong with your setup, and it probably isn't the AFM. stop blaming it.

read/do this:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
make sure your TPS is good first of all. after that, then go on to other things

are you sure you aren't throwing any engine codes?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts