Pirate 4x4 banner

681 - 700 of 1410 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
There are tons of different fans and clutches out there, but the space constraints are pretty limiting. Think what I really need to so is pull the waterpump pulley off and see if I can make a custom pulley with a shorter snout.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
Another option might be to add an idler pulley with a built-in fan clutch and then drive the fan off that...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #683 (Edited)
Picked up the cab and a bunch of parts today. Everything looks great.

Then stopped by Johnny's Custom Autobody in Gilroy to drop off the cab and fenders. He showed me a few trucks and workbenches that they've sprayed and this stuff looks like it holds up to heavy use pretty well! So we talked about exactly how they're going to prep and spray these parts, and I'll be back to pick that stuff up in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't normally take so long, but I'm going to be traveling and I wanted to get this started before I leave.

Unloaded a bunch of misc. parts and brought them into the house to keep them safe until it's time to reassemble everything.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Should stay nice and cool! I dont 'like' white but if you south of the border and into SA it will be a lot easier than OD green.

Some insulation combined with that white and you will be NICE and cool :D

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Or he will be mistaken for the UN trying to enforce anti-gun laws here in the US and attacked by vigilantes. :D

·
Damn kids
14,314 Posts
Wow, everything looks so nice and clean and perfect. I might have to reconsider white. It will also make it easier to spot leaks and easier to see inside at night (armored vehicles usually have white interiors).

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #688 (Edited)
The white does look super-sanitary, but Johnny's spraying the inside, underside, and firewall of the cab, along with the inside and underside of the fenders, so that stuff will all be black. The rest of the interior is going to be white, with some black details, and maybe some serape seat covers?

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Then stopped by Johnny's Custom Autobody in Gilroy to drop off the cab and fenders. He showed me a few trucks and workbenches that they've sprayed and this stuff looks like it holds up to heavy use pretty well!

What is the product?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Or he will be mistaken for the UN trying to enforce anti-gun laws here in the US and attacked by vigilantes. :D
Don't think anyone is going to mistake this vehicle for any kind of official anything.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Jesse, I've been watching this thread since the beginning, and love it. The attention to detail is awesome.

FYI I worked at a bodyshop in high school that did Ultimate Linings and it is a great product. We only ever had one issue (kinda) and that was a drunk guy doing a burnout in the bed of his Tacoma with a dirt bike (like the Tacoma composite bed floor commercials). Other than that, awesome stuff.

Can't wait to see more, and im subscribing.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
...worked at a bodyshop in high school that did Ultimate Linings and it is a great product.
Awesome. Have seen a few trucks and trailers and things that have seen hard use and abuse, and The Ultimate Linings seems to hold-up pretty damn well. Also looks like it does alright in the sun, where a lot of the liners don't.
Where ya going?
Lake Tahoe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hiya Jesse. I'm real surprised that your dad would let you park his toys outside, lol. The deuce is lookin awesome. Have you been to any of the Military Vehicle Collectors meets? We have one coming up in Sept, it's the smaller of two show per year held at Tower Park Marina near Lodi.

Haven't talked yo ya in a couple of years, we need to catch up.

Be safe dude

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Why would you say the project is dead? He is making good progress and updates the thread pretty often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, but I have to admit, of the four ground up building threads I've followed in detail, the only one that was finished in a year or so was Rob Grey's, of the three I've looked at more recently, all three were still at something like 3 years. Granted, Rob was also the only one to do it more or less full time. For Rob's: http://robgray.com/graynomad/index.php

Not as encouraging as I'd have hoped.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
A build takes as long as it takes. Not everyone has a huge shop full of tools and equipment and $100k laying around to do a build in a few weeks. Many of us are paying bills, working jobs and living life and that can make a build take a long time. Considering Jeese's lifestyle, the scale and scope of this project and the amount of work he has gotten done, I'd say this one is progressing nicely. Even if real life were to intrude and halt the build, it's not his fault. Real life pulls rank over recreational bullshit.

681 - 700 of 1410 Posts