Pirate 4x4 banner

741 - 760 of 1410 Posts

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
Thanks guys, will look into those. Would like to go bigger than 160-amps, but at what expense...
not sure. My rebuilt 150A version was about $125 bucks at the local ignition/alternator rebuilder.

he didn't even take the core because mine was hammered with a bent shaft.

did I mention they are cheap?

There's tons of room in the case, I'm sure a rebuilder could wind it for whatever amperage you want. Be aware though that the higher amp ones generate a crap ton of resistance before they turn on. Mine slips it's two v belts until it hits turn on RPM, and they're tighter than I'd like already. I'm scared to tighten them anymore for fear of roaching the bearings.

here's my old one's guts.

the old guy (80+) at the ignition shop said "that's done" and handed me that mess in a cardboard box.
it's nice that the regulator is an add on module, so you can carry a spare voltage regulator and swap it out in a few minutes. It's just held on with 4 screws.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #743
When do I get sets for my Gas Gas?
Well the thing is, that's just such small market. We're starting with the KTM's, and then the other major mfg's, and then, if everything goes well, we'll start working on the the more unique applications.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
not sure. My rebuilt 150A version was about $125 bucks at the local ignition/alternator rebuilder.

he didn't even take the core because mine was hammered with a bent shaft.

did I mention they are cheap?

There's tons of room in the case, I'm sure a rebuilder could wind it for whatever amperage you want. Be aware though that the higher amp ones generate a crap ton of resistance before they turn on. Mine slips it's two v belts until it hits turn on RPM, and they're tighter than I'd like already. I'm scared to tighten them anymore for fear of roaching the bearings.

here's my old one's guts.

the old guy (80+) at the ignition shop said "that's done" and handed me that mess in a cardboard box.
it's nice that the regulator is an add on module, so you can carry a spare voltage regulator and swap it out in a few minutes. It's just held on with 4 screws.
Cool, thanks for the info. Have done a little bit of poking around online and looks like they make those all the way up well over 200-amps. Will almost certainly end up going with something like that. Put a call in to Yawan Smith at Kodiak Industries. He's only located about five minutes away and Stover introduced us a while ago. Super-sharp guy, and was really impressed with the level of attention to detail that he puts into everything he does. Just want to run this by him before I make any final decisions. That's an interesting point about the belts slipping though. One more reason to convert over to a serpentine belt.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. Have done a little bit of poking around online and looks like they make those all the way up well over 200-amps. Will almost certainly end up going with something like that. Put a call in to Yawan Smith at Kodiak Industries. He's only located about five minutes away and Stover introduced us a while ago. Super-sharp guy, and was really impressed with the level of attention to detail that he puts into everything he does. Just want to run this by him before I make any final decisions. That's an interesting point about the belts slipping though. One more reason to convert over to a serpentine belt.
Yawan is a very cool guy. Bought my on-board welder from him and a few Oddysey batteries.

You may also want to give Rod at San Jose Generator a call. 408 293 2200. Another very cool guy and he knows all things starter and alternator.

Mark

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well the thing is, that's just such small market. We're starting with the KTM's, and then the other major mfg's, and then, if everything goes well, we'll start working on the the more unique applications.
Nah I was just messing, I have a pretty nice setup as is. Good looking stuff.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Yawan is a very cool guy. Bought my on-board welder from him and a few Oddysey batteries.

You may also want to give Rod at San Jose Generator a call. 408 293 2200. Another very cool guy and he knows all things starter and alternator.

Mark
Thanks for the heads-up. Always cool to find new local resources.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #749
There is, but that kit is designed to fit the little auto delco alternators. At San Jose Generator right now, learning a lot. Will post more a little later.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
There is, but that kit is designed to fit the little auto delco alternators. At San Jose Generator right now, learning a lot. Will post more a little later.
Be sure to tell Rod that Mark sent you.....

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
Yeah, he's great. Really seems to know his stuff. Reminds me a bit of Steve at South Bay Driveline.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
That's an interesting point about the belts slipping though. One more reason to convert over to a serpentine belt.
I will say that mine has a smaller pulley on it than the original, so that may contribute. But it turns on and makes full amperage at a very low RPM now. Old guy said he used to build them that way for the ambulances so they would still have good output at a high idle.

The price was so good I just said "yes" and handed him the cash. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Yeah, he's great. Really seems to know his stuff. Reminds me a bit of Steve at South Bay Driveline.
They have similar stories. Basically ran a shop for someone else and now they run their own shop for themselves. Been going to both those guys for over 20 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great build, I have been enjoying the thread/build quite a bit.

I was wondering if you solved your radiator fan issue yet? I noticed nobody has mentioned an electric fan option. It would be a lot less complicated and or expensive than some of the other options discussed and you have to admit, there is something to be said for less complicated, especially when your out in the middle of West Nowhere.

Electric radiator cooling fans have been around plenty long enough that they are about bullet proof. You can get new ones or get them from a junk yard. You can also turn them off when doing a water crossing to prevent throwing water all over the engine compartment and of course they do not cause any drag on the engine while in the water like a mechanical fan would do.

Just a thought..

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
Know it's a long thread, and it's hard to catch everything, but we have discussed electric fans. There are a few different people who have experimented with electric fans, in every different combination, using high-quality Spal fans, and they're just not up to the task. The stock radiator is undersized for the application by most accounts, so the cooling fan really has to work overtime to keep the temps under control.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #758
So like I said, went down to San Jose Generator and talked to Rod. He spent about twenty minutes talking with me about this project and what I wanted to accomplish with the electrical system. He agreed that the Leese Neville alternators are probably going to be my best bet, and showed me a few that are putting out up to 270-amps! The other alternative he recommended is a 200-amp Pentex unit that's really common in limos and ambulances. Think the first thing I'm going to go with a Leese Neville, and first thing I'm going to do is see about getting my hands on a junker that I can use for mock-up, so I can start designing the new alternator mounts. Didn't think to ask Rod about that, but I'm sure he's got something laying around. haha.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Also picked up a few sewing machines that I was having repaired at a place up in San Jose. Took them eight and a half months and they were only able to get one of them all put back together and running, but I'm pretty excited about my new Pfaff 545.

My good friend James over at Renazco Racing hooked me up with these beautiful old machines, along with a newer Consew zig-zag machine. He's been teaching me how to sew, and I've got a long way to go, but have really been enjoying this stuff. Take a look at this custom seat that we made for my KTM together (I shaped it and James did the sewing).

Setting a few of these machines up so I can practice, planning on making room for one of them in the trailer. See, a lot of this stuff that I'm working on is not strictly related to the motorhome, but it's not entirely unrelated either. Putting a lot more work into making this transition than simply building a motorhome, and it's all coming together. Slowly.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have used a 240 amp leece neville with a J180 mount on my wheeling rig. Great alt. They are common on coaches and buses. I would get a J180 mount as opposed to a pad mount, easier to adapt. Anyways I think that a L-N unit is bang on.

741 - 760 of 1410 Posts