Pirate 4x4 banner

1021 - 1040 of 1410 Posts

·
Damn kids
14,314 Posts
What kind of mileage does a 2.5 and 5 ton get?I have heard every thing from 3 to 12 mpg.Also,what years and engines are good for waste veggie oil?I am considering one to pull a large boat with and haul break downs back home.
With 4000 in the bed and flat towing a Jeep, with super singles, on straight road diesel and cruising mild mountainous terrain between 52 and 57 mph, I see 10 mpg.

·
Registered
244 Posts
With 4000 in the bed and flat towing a Jeep, with super singles, on straight road diesel and cruising mild mountainous terrain between 52 and 57 mph, I see 10 mpg.
Are you running both rear axles or bobbed?I like those super singles but the price of wheels and tires are a bit spendy.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,026
Went down to Salinas and visited Tommy at Agri-Trade. He's been jammed-up with a lot of other project, and I can't afford to push (pay) my way to the front of the line, so I'm waiting till he has time to sandblast and paint the M109 box. Have a bit of prep-work to do, like stripping all that gnarly undercoating off the bottom of it. It's the only part of the whole truck that had rusted, so wanna get in there and cut it out. Tommy's going to get it set-up on some kind of stands that will allow me to get under it and, ugh, not looking forward to that. Would like to have Johnny's Custom Autobody spray the underside of the box with Ultimate Linings after it's stripped, but figuring out the logistics might be tricky.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,027
Nate at Artec Industries is going to cut all the plates for the steering cylinder mount that I designed. Have to install that, and then... oh, was going to modify the steering column I've got to work with the orbital, but PSC's steering columns happen to be the exact same OD and they're pretty reasonably priced and they're already set-up to mount an orbital and a quick-release steering wheel. Only question is whether or not I can get them to custom-make a little longer one for me. Not much else left to do on the truck after that, besides running hydraulic lines for the steering and brakes. Bunch of misc. brackets and little things that need to be made, but I've got most of those designed, just waiting to have them all cut at once. Have also been fooling around with rollcage designs a bit, and can't do anything about the seats until I figure the rollcage out. But that doesn't matter. Can throw a pillow and serapé blanket over the old seat and go!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,028
towbars

Wanted to let everyone following this thread in on this. We came-up on a bunch of medium adjustable towbars and we're selling them for less than half the price I paid for mine, and I bought two extra sets and cut them up to make the A-frame hoist that you've seen me using to load/unload all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,029
Interesting development. Bought an M923A2 today. Gonna plop the M109 box on the back of it, and it's DONE. Might even mount the box on top of the dropside cargo bed, that would be super cool. Power steering, air brakes, more power, etc. It was all just too tempting. Was watching the M939 auctions for months and months and finally pulled the trigger. Will post some pictures soon.

The new plan is to bob the deuce and put the M105A3 bed and helmet hardtop on the back of it. My brother Robo-Boogie is going to be graduating next year, and he's not going to be on the road fulltime with me, but want to be able to caravan. So downsizing the deuce and outfitting it in a little more minimalistic fashion should work out really well.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,031
Yeah, that's all inside the M109 box that I'm going to install on the back of the M923A3 instead of the M35A2 chassis. Think the M923 is going to make a lot better platform for the motorhome and heavy hauling, so I'm going to lighten the deuce up a bit and use it like an oversized pickup and 'mini' camper. Nothing is going to waste!

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Any update Artec mount?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,036 (Edited)
Yeah yeah, I know. It's been four and a half years, and it ends with me saying... Tah-Dah, I bought another truck! haha. There's something really funny about that. But in all the time that I've been building this motorhome, a lot of things have changed. Instead of stubbornly following through on my original plans, I'm adapting. I scrapped that stupid uhaul trailer that I built because I realized too late that it wasn't going to meet my needs. Sometimes projects like these end that way. But I'm not abandoning anything. Only adding another truck/camper to the caravan and shuffling things around a little bit.

These M939 series 5-tons are amazing trucks. Better in almost every way it seems than the deuce and a half that I started building. At least when it comes to hauling heavy loads and the type of work I want to be able to do with this motorhome. But buying one of these 5-tons wasn't even an option back when I started this project. Briefly considered building an 800 series 5-ton, but didn't see much appeal in that platform. They were just bigger, heavier, slower versions of an M35A2. The M939 trucks on the other hand, have modern turco-diesel engines, allison transmissions, air brakes, power steering, and a whole number of other things going for them that leaves a deuce looking pretty shabby by comparison. Even one as highly modified as mine. But that's only because given the intended use, I'd have been working this old deuce pretty hard, where the 5-ton won't even break a sweat.

This deuce is going to get finished and driven. Soon, and a lot more than it would have if it was a motorhome. After bobbing it, linking it, and putting it on airbags, it'll be a really useful truck, especially with M105A3 trailer bed and camper shell on the back. Going to keep it super-high-clearance too, eliminating the gas tank and storage boxes and all that stuff that was hanging down below the cab, adding protection and skidplates, etc. This thing is gonna mob. Hard.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,037
Any update Artec mount?
Dunno. Talked to Nate earlier this week and they were cutting some parts, but am not sure when I might receive them. Know they're super busy though, and kinda doing me a favor by making these prototypes for me, so I'm not sweating it. Did just receive some inner cleviseses from PSC yesterday, and confirmed that they're going to be able to make me a custom steering column for the deuce cab that will make converting over to an orbital valve a bolt-in deal. And that's pretty much all I need to get this thing running. Plan is to finish it before I start hacking it up again. Not in any real hurry to get into that, but this fawking audi has got me motivated to make that truck a driver sooner than later.

1021 - 1040 of 1410 Posts