Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 1410 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Says a lot about a lot, doesn't it? The fact that the military had to resort to turning service bulletins and manuals into comic books. There's none of that nonsense in the -10/20/30 manuals, and I would never complain about something like a service manual being overly clear, but it's a sad state of affairs. Shameful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I much prefered the Old Connie.

But we had the -10's too, so you could actually get sh, uh, Stuff done.

Loving how well you are supporting others who may want to follow in your footsteps. thank you for taking the time to build this thread as a resource and not just a story.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There's none of that nonsense in the -10/20/30 manuals, and I would never complain about something like a service manual being overly clear, but it's a sad state of affairs. Shameful.
\

Yes there is! Flip to the back of the manual to the "suggest changes" section and there is a hawt blond cartoon in every TM the Army makes! Also on the subject, the -24P is the parts manual and has exploded views of everything, sometimes it's easier to look in there than try to fumble through the poorly written manuals.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Well then I stand corrected. Only have the manuals I've downloaded from steelsoldiers.com.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
Buy it! Nah, that's actually kind of expensive if it's got a bad engine. Back there on the east coast you can buy these direct from govliquidation for a LOT less than out here on the west coast, so you should expect to pay a bit less when buying from private parties too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I read the whole thread and instantly went to craigslist to see what was out there. I found three with the camper and one of those is rust free for 4,000. I may be owning a new vehicle this summer haha.

Great thread and incredible log of work.

Thank you for doing this for us to follow.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
The M109 trucks make a great platform for a motorhome conversion, but I wonder if I might have been better off just building a custom box. Wouldn't have been too much more work, could have saved a lot of weight (stock box weighs about 4000lbs), and would have been able to make a little bit more usable space. Just something to think about if you're looking for a truck. Maybe buy a regular cargo truck and build a box? Here are a couple of examples, both really cool: F700 build on pirate and Topkick build on expo.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Going to be uploading a lot of CAD files to the CAD Library, sharing almost everything that I've designed for mah deuce. A lot of things are specific to the motorhome conversion part of this project, but many of the things I'm making can be used on regular deuces (like these mounting brackets for a removable three-point receiver hitch). I'm using Solidworks, so I'll be sharing my native design files, as well at universal formats (IGS? any special requests?) and eDrawings files. eDrawings is a free CAD viewer made by Solidworks, and allows anybody to view these 3D CAD models.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
You're slackin buddy!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
M103A3 trailer

After scrapping the uhaul trailer that I built, I picked up an M103A3 trailer, which is basically a flatbed version of an M105 trailer. Sits a little bit higher than the M353 that I used to build the uhaul trailer, but that's not such a bad thing (extra ground clearance and room for storage underneath the deck). It's also quite a bit lighter and the flatbed will make a much better platform to for an enclosure. Picked this one up in Washington. It's in great condition and the fellow I bought it from is a collector/enthusiast and he made me a great deal. We rigged-up some temporary bedsides and used the trailer to help a friend move from Seattle down to Santa Cruz, which helped offset the cost of the trailer. Mounted a set of matching wheels/tires and stripped it down to the basics.

At first I was trying to fit everything into this trailer, but now I'm leaning towards more of a modular caravan concept. Probably just build a few different boxes for this trailer chassis to start, and then acquire more trailers as I find them (the M103's aren't quite as common as the M105's). Going to make a simple crane that will sit on top of the M109 box, and will be able to lift the trailer boxs on/off the trailer chassis.

Would love to get my hands on a water/fuel trailer, and I'd like to build a full-on partywagon trailer too (probably based on an MKT-85/90 trailer) with a bar, big-ass BBQ, showers, etc. Could even load a vehicle on top of an M103 trailer if I reinforce the deck in a few spots.

This first one is going to be something of a dedicated workshop/toybox. Plan on outfitting it with a full assortment of tools, including a welder, tubing bender, saws, drills, grinders, etc. Most of the tools will be mounted on 2" receivers (like this), so I can move things around to make efficient use of space. Hope this will make a good trailer for traveling, pit support at off-road races, and that type of thing. Will have extra fuel (diesel, gas, slut-tanks), water, waste storage tanks, as well as a generator and large battery-bank. Should extend the range of mah deuce and will allow the trailer to be used as a stand-alone basecamp.

Started a couple different threads about this new trailer project, and uploaded my design files to the CAD Library. Have only gotten as far as roughing-out all the basic dimensions. Still thinking about how I actually want to build this thing, so the CAD files I've uploaded aren't going to be too useful to anybody, unless you're only interested in the dimensions of the M103A3 trailer. But I will upload new files as things progress.

This screen-capture of the enclosure is already out-of-date, as I've decided that I'm going to mode the side-entry door around to the front of the trailer box so I can walk back and forth between the motorhome and the trailer (would like to put an awning on the back of mah deuce that would extend far enough to make a breezeway between the truck and trailer).

links
designing & building a small enclosed trailer (pirate4x4)
building a lightweight structure to support weight (pirate4x4)
making a fold-down trailer door (expeditionportal)
M103A3 trailer & custom enclosure: V2 (CAD files)

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Just found another one of those comicbook-style service bulletins.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Brad Milne

I mentioned before that I stumbled onto a NOS cab, and a lot of the parts that I've picked up for this project came from the same place. The cab, a NOS hardtop, a whole pile of riveted wheels, the M103A3 trailer, and a whole truckload (a BIG load) of other misc. parts came from Brad Milne's yard in McKenna Washington. I've made a couple trips to his place already, and spent a few days with him, picking through parts and finding treasures that I didn't know I was looking for (like that cab). Real good-natured fellow. Allowed me camp in his yard and even let me drive this monster forklift, which was seriously one of the coolest pieces of equipment I've ever had the chance to operate. If any of you guys in the PNW are looking for parts for military trucks, he's a source that I'm reluctant give-up. The Gollum in me would prefer to keep his stash a secret. His number is... 360.400.1694.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
cab-swap, bodywork, sandblasting, paint

Stripping the truck down went quickly. But I just realized that I was mistaken when I wrote in a previous post that I haven't had any trouble with rusted or seized hardware. That's not true. No amount of persuasion could loosen a few of the screws that mount the upper door-hinges to the cab. I had to cut them off. Only took a minute, and that's really the only trouble I've had with any hardware. At least so far, but I think I've been through almost everything already. Making a note, as these words might come back to bite me.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
deuce and a half -> trail rig

After removing all of the storage boxes and everything from under the cab, I was shocked to see just how much clearance there is under there. Can't afford to give up that precious space, which is where I'm carrying a lot of fluids and batteries and other heavy stuff, but I'm realizing that it would be possible to build a deuce and a half that could get pretty damn shifty on the trails. Chop the front fenders off along the hoodline, bob it and ditch the bed, link it, etc. Maybe re-power (cummins?). I've got my hands full, but if anybody wants to build a hardcore deuce-based trailrig, I'd love to help design something like that. Send me a PM.

141 - 160 of 1410 Posts