Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tom was at SCIII to support the teams any way he could. On the entry to Obstacle 3 I busted my front driveshaft (spring wrap) and split the ears in the process.

I didn't have a front spare. I went over to see Tom to see what we could do. Tom checked things out and built me a shaft that we tried on obstacle 4. Because we have a shackle reversal in the front, this shaft separated.

Tom was watching and told us to come back over to his rig and see what we could do. Tom dug around in his rig and found a long slip shaft that he promptly cut up and made fit my rig. He also jumped under my rig and buttoned it up while I got in the rig and ready to go so I could make the next obstacle before I was marked a DNS.

What I haven't mentioned yet is what all of this cost me, which at the time could have been anything to keep me going. I asked Tom after he built the first shaft how I get up with him to get settled up and his response was:

"You don't owe me anything, I'm here to keep you going. Just tell your friends."

I can't thank Tom enough for what he did for us as a team that weekend.

·
Banned
7,672 Posts
I know how it feels to get to compete, have broken driveshafts, and have a good samaritan with a welder and a band saw come to your rescue.

Good to hear that Tom got you hooked up. I know I thought my weekend was over when it happened to me.

My good samaritan was none other than "Mudtruck44" from this website. :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Tim84K10 said:
My good samaritan was none other than "Mudtruck44" from this website. :)
What did Jesse do?
I always like reading about how others help out. it shows how even though we are all competing against each other, we will all help each other. :)

·
Banned
7,672 Posts
Bmf24 said:
What did Jesse do?
I always like reading about how others help out. it shows how even though we are all competing against each other, we will all help each other. :)
He hacked up what was left of my front driveshaft and spent 3 hours or so splicing it together so I could continue to compete in Fourwheeler Magazine's Real Truck Challenge this year.

Then he ground the shit out of it because it was binding, and we, "made" a limiting strap (chain) for my front axle so what was left of it would stay together.

Jesse @ the Badlands shop really helped me out that day....and I'd be embarassed if I told you what I paid him for it. :shaking:

Another time before I got my trailer, Jesse hooked me up with a bolt for my steering box when I broke it, so I could drive my trail rig home.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, Tom is a great guy. He really hooked me up on some stuff this year and I have to say I am very pleased with both of the shafts he built for me.

Nice guy and great service.

Cody

1 - 8 of 8 Posts