Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father just bought a 88 samurai. I namrd it the banana hammock. It appears to have a hanger lift and they did a spoa. I have only got some pictures and I was tasked to make it drivable. So Ive been researching and cant figure out what direction to go. A lot of the info Ive seen is from at least 2014 and not a lot has been updated. So go with yj springs, rear springs on front, waggy springs on front.

Plus it looks like I need to redo the steering and add a track bar. Any help would be great. I've seen some kits for both but where should I look for these things. I can weld but not confident for steering pieces.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly a hunting rig/ light off road/ pasture truck. It will be mine in a few years and I would like to wheel it. Currently has almost new 31’s but on the fence to go bigger. At least 33’s if not a touch bigger.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Is it just the angle of the picture or is that thing riding on bumpstops? I would start by cutting those shackles down by half and seeing how it is from there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Easy enough. How about the steering? I looked at Zuks off road at their rock smasher steering setup and it looks nice. Don’t know how it holds up. One of the tie rods has a bungee cord holding it together so it needs replaced. Plus the drag link looks bent. Does it need a track bar?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get rid of those shackles and you shouldn’t need a track bar imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don’t understand why you need 33’s or bigger for your stated use- it sounds like a stock standard samurai would be more than capable of the tasks you plan, without the hassle, cost and compromise of having the springs on the wrong side the axles.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I like alot of people have 30x 9.50 I do not use it for mud.... Mostly for sand dezert some rocks and lots of hills.Goes most places its spring under with ome springs and smallish shackles. A REAR LOCKER OR SPOOL WOULD HELP YOUR NEEDS THE MOST.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get what your saying. But it's already spring over and huge shackles. I'm just trying to get it back to safe to drive and capable. I wouldnt mind jumping up in tire size later on. The rocks around here are pretty big and I don't think a stock rig would fair to well. I'm just trying to work with what I got. The whole steering setup is shot so why not keep what I have and upgrade the steering.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mostly a hunting rig/ light off road/ pasture truck. It will be mine in a few years and I would like to wheel it. Currently has almost new 31’s but on the fence to go bigger. At least 33’s if not a touch bigger.
Read what you will be doing mostly, that's why most are telling you what you should do... to do those....Most don't like long shackles..
But hey you know what your using it for and how to make a good rock crawler for big rocks round there. Keep spring over, LONG shackle lift and run 33s and buy diffrent steering setups ... good lick

·
Registered
615 Posts
The steering is just a symptom of what looks like a very poorly executed SPOA. I can’t see functional bumpstops, which is why the springs have been over compressed and have significant negative arch. It looks to be using stock shocks and/mounts which will be acting as the bumpstops. The huge shackles might be an indication the caster was messed up when the perches were welded on, or that the front driveshaft will bind or foul the crossmember if the correct (stock length) shackles are installed.

You won’t just be fixing the steering. You’re going to be reworking the entire SPOA by the time you get it right, which will cost far more and take far more troubleshooting than putting the springs back where they were meant to be and having a softly sprung, stable and enjoyable car to drive.

We used to see lots of SPOA’s like that 20 years ago, before people realised it was a bad idea. Now SPOA is basically non existent here, just a few old cars getting around and some kids with no idea.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The steering is just a symptom of what looks like a very poorly executed SPOA. I can’t see functional bumpstops, which is why the springs have been over compressed and have significant negative arch. It looks to be using stock shocks and/mounts which will be acting as the bumpstops. The huge shackles might be an indication the caster was messed up when the perches were welded on, or that the front driveshaft will bind or foul the crossmember if the correct (stock length) shackles are installed.

You won’t just be fixing the steering. You’re going to be reworking the entire SPOA by the time you get it right, which will cost far more and take far more troubleshooting than putting the springs back where they were meant to be and having a softly sprung, stable and enjoyable car to drive.

We used to see lots of SPOA’s like that 20 years ago, before people realised it was a bad idea. Now SPOA is basically non existent here, just a few old cars getting around and some kids with no idea.

This guy is a
Idiot

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
+1 for shorter shackles and go back to spring under. Maybe get some new ~2" lift springs if you need a little more clearance. Spring over with flat springs sucks.

Also, stick with 31s or max 32s unless you want to beef up the axles.

·
Registered
583 Posts
+1 for shorter shackles and go back to spring under. Maybe get some new ~2" lift springs if you need a little more clearance. Spring over with flat springs sucks.

Also, stick with 31s or max 32s unless you want to beef up the axles.
He needs to keep the shackles and needs the 33 to go on the big rocks and needs to keep the spring over as well... he just wants to rebuild his steering......apparently...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Op asked how to fix what he already had. You told him everything already done was wrong and hadn’t been done in years. Lies in all accounts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Op asked how to fix what he already had. You told him everything already done was wrong and hadn’t been done in years. Lies in all accounts

Not sure who your talking to butttt....every thing you said is a lie....might read op... copied it for you below..

Have a good day

My father just bought a 88 samurai. I namrd it the banana hammock. It appears to have a hanger lift and they did a spoa. I have only got some pictures and I was tasked to make it drivable. So Ive been researching and cant figure out what direction to go. A lot of the info Ive seen is from at least 2014 and not a lot has been updated. So go with yj springs, rear springs on front, waggy springs on front.

Plus it looks like I need to redo the steering and add a track bar. Any help would be great. I've seen some kits for both but where should I look for these things. I can weld but not confident for steering pieces.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts