Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
No, you don't have enough caster. You look to be still running a complete OME rear pack. Have you removed any leaves?

Just the bottom one

No, you don't need a track bar (panhard rod)

Did it wobble before you swapped the front back to SPUA?

Nope

Are the bushes tight in the springs? (I notice they're not OME bushes)

They are tight and energy suspension

Do the shackles compress the bushes slightly? centre bars can cause problems getting the bushes snug.

Yep

Get rid of the Z link

Confirm the steering box is within spec and/or can be adjusted to get it in spec, this is measured as starting torque at the input shaft- consult the FSM

It's good.

Confirm the condition of all tie rod ends.

They are good too

Obviously, an out of round wheel or severely out of balance tire can trigger wobble.

Confirm the condition of the wheel bearings, measured as starting torque

Confirm the preload on the kingpin bearings, measured as starting torque

Confirm the condition of the knuckle seals.

The factory fix is kingpin preload and knuckle seal replacement. These damp the wobble as close to at the wheel as possible. There's a misconception that the steering damper is present to prevent wobble. This is not the case.

99% of death wobble is caused by kingpin wear. All the other issues can be a trigger, but they're not the cause. A car with kingpins to spec can have all the other stuff all over the place and it won't wobble, but if the kingpins are loose it will wobble and fixing all the other stuff won't stop it.
Answers above. I guess I need to figure out the caster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
So I just sprang for a low range off road high low steering. It fixed my death wobble issue but now the drag link hits the frame. I need to swap the tie rod from the top of the high steer arm to the bottom. I did find some weld in tapers that would do it. How would you guys proceed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Talked with low range, the farthest put hole is supposed to be for the tie rod on another kit, so I have some space between the two holes. I'm just going to drill a hole a little farther out and ream it the other way.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts