Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I broke an axle on Saturday. It sheared off flush with the birfield. after I fished the stub out of the birfield I was trying to figure out whatI wanted to do with the broken piece. Then I realized I hadnt put a shifter knob on my t-case shifter yet. Bingo, broken axle on Saturday, shifter knob on Tuesday :p

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
AWESOME idea...I've got a rear shaft spline piece for a doner....may be a busy night ;)

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep and having to tear it apart gave me an excuse to order the longs that are going in tonight :smokin:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
help a rookie out and please give me the run down on how you got the inner snap ring off that or how you got the stub out ?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If an axle shaft is broken up by the birf, you can spin out the inner cage and pull the balls out of the race.. Then tap the shaft out backwards not having to remove the snap ring. It's all actually in the FSM cause my description sucks.. You also sometimes have to do this if you have an inner that's torqued the splines and then won't come out of the birf. If you have a birf that's attached to an inner shaft and a piece of scedule 40 pipe in a vice you are normally golden on seperating the 2.. Watch your toes tho..

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
yeah , I read that too , I was just wondering how someone who has had to do it and got it done did it ? just curious ?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, it's best to ask the questions here prior to having to seperate one on the trail! BTW? Don't you have like a dozen spares now?

I've had an inner that won't seperate from a birf before. . Had to chuck it up in the chopsaw and cut the inner shaft off just by the birf to salvage the birf.. Before anyone screams.. it was a short side Minitruck shaft that I cut up to salvage a minitruck birf.. so I had no use for the inner shaft :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ok.. back to the normal subject.. I was planning on doing something similar but using a ball joint from a front axle.. Probably use one as a stick shift knob as well.. (Pre-Birf)

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tornadoalleycruiser said:
If an axle shaft is broken up by the birf, you can spin out the inner cage and pull the balls out of the race.. Then tap the shaft out backwards not having to remove the snap ring.
you got it ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Great minds......

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Ok.. back to the normal subject.. I was planning on doing something similar but using a ball joint from a front axle.. Probably use one as a stick shift knob as well.. (Pre-Birf)

You can barely make them out, but they're on both shifters. HURTS like hell to nail your elbow on one!
PMK

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm kinda thinking about recycling parts myself, anyone have a broken rear axle shaft they would give me to use in my spare tire carrier bumper swingout Frankenstein creation thing?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts

best paper towel holder I have used :D

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Rat70FJ said:
John,
How did you break a birf?
Why assume it's broken?

Maybe it's just a coarse-spline he's saving for me! :flipoff2: