Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried a search and didn't see what i was looking for, so if i missed it post it and flame away.

how do you make the twin stick transfer case in my scout 80 able to switch to 2-lo and front wheel drive only. is it possible?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Just a wild-asses guess here, but I would think removing the interlock pills ought to do it.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TORC said:
Just a wild-asses guess here, but I would think removing the interlock pills ought to do it.

do they connect the 2 shifters?
i haven't really looked that close @ it yet, just been welding on the skin.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
61scout80 said:

do they connect the 2 shifters?
i haven't really looked that close @ it yet, just been welding on the skin.
No they don't connect the two shifters... they float between the two shift rails inside the front output/shifter assembly. It's pretty easy to actually take them out, but you damn near have to dismantle the entire t-case to get to that point. If you've gone that far, you might as well rebuild the t-case.

I think you're best bet would be to find another t-case and send those sticks to me.:flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're best bet would be to find another t-case and send those sticks to me.:flipoff2: :D

i have a few, make an offer, you gotta deal w/ shipping from north east penn. though.... e-mail me an offer @ [email protected] if your still interested.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dana 18

I must have taken my stupid pill tonight, but I thought a Scout 80 from '61 would have a Dana 18 not a Dana 20? Never seen a D20 in an early Scout.

The BB link you provided my be of little use if it's an 18 :confused:

61 Scout 80: Which transfercase are you running?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Dana 18/20

Easy to figure out....if the rear output is oposite the front output it's a Dana 18. If the output is oposite the input it's a Dana 20. I don't know the application by year but I do know that the early Scouts (80/800) had both transfercases.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i thought the 20 was the same as the 18 only the 20 had a stonger case? i'm pretty sure mine in the truck is an 18, but i aso think the one i have from a '64 hooked to a 4 speed that i think is a 20, but its under a bit of snow at the moment, so its hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The 20 does have a stronger case as you would have to grind your 20 case to put the 18 gears into it for a 2.4 or something low range. But it still remains that the main difference between the two (visually) are the rear outputs.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Yes the cases are the same as I found out from others (Mike, Rich, etc). But the 18 is not like a 20 when it comes to power transfer. The front axle is only in or out, the range selection is only Low-N-High. If Low or High is selected then the rear axle is engaged.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jdjanda said:
Yes the cases are the same as I found out from others (Mike, Rich, etc). But the 18 is not like a 20 when it comes to power transfer. The front axle is only in or out, the range selection is only Low-N-High. If Low or High is selected then the rear axle is engaged.

so basically front wheel drive only isn't an option w/ the d-18 unless i do a full floating rear axle?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
61scout80 said:

so basically front wheel drive only isn't an option w/ the d-18 unless i do a full floating rear axle?
Rear axle type has nothing to do with it. You can use a rear d-line disconnect. If you are thinking that you want the ability to disconnect the rear axle in the event of breakage yes a FF will help. Despite the t-case if you break an axle in a SF you're screwed.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you modify the shift linkage in the 20 or the 18 you may acquiire a rear disconnect but it is not accessible in the stock setup. You may modify the linkage and install it on your 20 to do so but you have to have a twin stick conversion to get this. With the 18 you simply have to modify the existing linkage to acquire this capability.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
slipscomb said:
If you modify the shift linkage in the 20 or the 18 you may acquiire a rear disconnect but it is not accessible in the stock setup. You may modify the linkage and install it on your 20 to do so but you have to have a twin stick conversion to get this. With the 18 you simply have to modify the existing linkage to acquire this capability.

so i can do this to the 18. would it be basically the same as useing the directions posted from binder bulliten? this will be my first dive into a transfer case, thats why i sound pretty much retarted about all of this.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Really?

With the 18 you simply have to modify the existing linkage to acquire this capability.
I'd like to hear about this modification?
Since with the 18 one stick is for front axle and the other selects the ratio, how do you modify the existing linkage?

Any time the transfer case is in Hi or Low the rear output is engaged, hence the rear axle is engaged.

The write up given on the BB will not work with the 18.

The 20 has two shift rails that normally operate together to select the desired output, the modification allows the rails to operate seperatly. Since the 18's rail already operate seperatly how would it work? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Re: Really?

Neps said:

I'd like to hear about this modification?
Since with the 18 one stick is for front axle and the other selects the ratio, how do you modify the existing linkage?

Any time the transfer case is in Hi or Low the rear output is engaged, hence the rear axle is engaged.

The write up given on the BB will not work with the 18.

The 20 has two shift rails that normally operate together to select the desired output, the modification allows the rails to operate seperatly. Since the 18's rail already operate seperatly how would it work? :rolleyes:
just going to throw a whild guess out here... but I *think* the D18 shift rails work THE SAME as a D20's shift rails... A stock twin-stick D20 shifts the same way as the Stock D18 does.....

So I would ASSume that the modification is the same... course I'm talking out of my ass here, since I haven't had a D18 apart, nor done a twin-stick convertion.

61scout80, why don't you just get a D20, and swap things around and put it in your 80?? I don't see anyreason you would want to keep your D18, since I assume you are going to toss the stock, offset rear very soon (if you haven't done it already). Wasn't the stock, offset rearend in early 80's a POS D27???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts